Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the new coffee table book from Brooks Brothers today:
Brown Cloud Font Material property Wood

I've just skimmed it today, but initial impression is that it's a pretty neat book. I'll post some pics and more in depth thoughts tomorrow.

One thing I did find entertaining- the foreword is written by Lisa Birnbach, who is credited as "Lisa Birnach" (missed the b). I made a comment about this on Instagram and Claudio Del Vecchio liked the post lol

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Thanks, I was not aware of this book. I have their older "official" book from three or four years ago.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Just ordered my copy - will report back after it comes and have had time to go through it a bit. Seems like a reasonable add to the sartorial book collection. Started "Hollywood and the Ivy Look" yesterday - incredible pictures so far.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I'm particularly interested in learning how much copy in the new BB book covers the company history and its contributions to Ivy Style. I read elsewhere that the book (unlike the previous "official" one) is more devoted to the Claudio Del Vecchio period, which throws a wet blanket on the publication, IMO.

It's also disconcerting that the copy editors didn't catch the misspelling of Birnbach's name. It's a book honoring your company's 200th anniversary, fer crissakes. Get the details correct.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'm particularly interested in learning how much copy in the new BB book covers the company history and its contributions to Ivy Style. I read elsewhere that the book (unlike the previous "official" one) is more devoted to the Claudio Del Vecchio period, which throws a wet blanket on the publication, IMO.

It's also disconcerting that the copy editors didn't catch the misspelling of Birnbach's name. It's a book honoring your company's 200th anniversary, fer crissakes. Get the details correct.
Actually the points you raise are very much emblematic of what the company has become. BB exploits its reputation of old, with prices that no are no longer justified since most items are imported and geared for those who think they're buying quality, or tradition, but are not sure of what that is. There was a time that one knew one had purchased something of worth simply by virtue of the fact that it was bought at BB.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
gamma68 said:
I'm particularly interested in learning how much copy in the new BB book covers the company history and its contributions to Ivy Style.
"Ivy Style" is not a historical style, it's a term made up by the British/Ivy/Jazz obsessives to describe their peculiar interpretation of classic Ivy League style and post-war traditional American style, and co-opted by that opportunist in NYC who gave up on white-tie-and-tails (when that didn't show-him-the-money) and switched to the whole "ivy league style" and "trad" trends once they started to go mainstream.
gamma68 said:
I read elsewhere that the book (unlike the previous "official" one) is more devoted to the Claudio Del Vecchio period, which throws a wet blanket on the publication, IMO.
xcubbies said:
Actually the points you raise are very much emblematic of what the company has become. BB exploits its reputation of old, with prices that no are no longer justified since most items are imported and geared for those who think they're buying quality, or tradition, but are not sure of what that is. There was a time that one knew one had purchased something of worth simply by virtue of the fact that it was bought at BB.
Everything went to hell when those Eye-talians took over, right? I'm not so sure and I think this "legend" has been fantasied up in the minds of people who want to carefully delineate history into nice neat packages and who want to use cheap patriotism to cloak their ethnocentrism. The fact is that very little is made in the USA anymore and what still is, is not very special.

All of that being said, the screenshots of the inside of the new book do not impress.

Reactions: Thom Bell

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
"Ivy Style" is not a historical style, it's a term made up by the British/Ivy/Jazz obsessives to describe their peculiar interpretation of classic Ivy League style and post-war traditional American style, and co-opted by that opportunist in NYC who gave up on white-tie-and-tails (when that didn't show-him-the-money) and switched to the whole "ivy league style" and "trad" trends once they started to go mainstream.

Everything went to hell when those Eye-talians took over, right? I'm not so sure and I think this "legend" has been fantasied up in the minds of people who want to carefully delineate history into nice neat packages and who want to use cheap patriotism to cloak their ethnocentrism. The fact is that very little is made in the USA anymore and what still is, is not very special.

All of that being said, the screenshots of the inside of the new book do not impress.
DD, when were you first in a Brooks Bros store? Curious, because the transformation is pretty much total. Yes, they still make versions of the OCBD, but even they are largely reinventions. Perhaps you'd never been in one of the brick and mortar stores in the early 1970s, or before, to notice the change. Yes, I know their are economic explanations for some of the changes. I'm just saying that it's not the same. Not pulling rank on, just making an observation.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
"Ivy Style" is not a historical style, it's a term made up by the British/Ivy/Jazz obsessives to describe their peculiar interpretation of classic Ivy League style and post-war traditional American style...
Call it whatever you like, I think everyone here knows what I meant in my post.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Everything went to hell when those Eye-talians took over, right?
I think you're reading into xcubbies post, because he didn't actually say that. His larger point, which I think is undeniable, is that BB is not now what it once was. Hasn't been for a long time.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
^^ At some point we just need to admit that "We" have beat the Brooks Brothers thing long past it's death.:deadhorse:

Anyone old enough to have shopped at Brooks Brothers 15-20 years ago* knows that they are not the stalwarts of Traditional American Men's styling that they once were. It is not debatable and gamma68 is spot on.
*(Let alone those of us who shopped Brooks 30 years ago.)

Claudio Del Vecchio is doing what he has to in order to keep the business viable. I throw no stones at him for that.

I still try to patronize Brooks Brothers when I can justify it.

Of course I will look forward to browsing the new Brooks Brothers book.

But as far as the "Ivy" thing, "Trad," or whatever your nomenclature de jour happens to be,......Have at it fellas!!

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
My copy just came today (say what you want about Amazon - but they are competitively priced and fast as heck).

I have not read one word of text yet. All I did was open it up and flip through it quickly.

Based on that, the book has a ton of beautiful Trad / Ivy pictures (see below). Also, the cover shot looks incredible on the book itself; whereas, I was underwhelmed when I saw pictures of the cover on-line.

There are also many modern pictures with some of the more "fashionable" BB clothes of today, but the book is not dominated by that.

Hopefully, the text has something to offer, but if not, the Trad / Ivy pictures I saw made me glad I own it.

Serveware Window Art Artifact Display case
Art Painting Drawing Font Visual arts
Face Tie Coat Smile Collar
Forehead Watch Shirt Arm Tie
Smile Sleeve Art Curtain Facial hair
Leg Human Flash photography Tree Sleeve

They were able to sneak this cute one ⇧ of Audrey in because that's a pink BB OCBD

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
This webpage covering the Anniversary fashion show brought to my attention via the Ivy Style blog.

Video of it here;

Nothing says '200 years of American Style' like an Italian fashion show!
I caught that at Ivy Style, too. Very bizarre! A lot of those "looks" remind me of little kids using Dad's clothes for an ad hoc Halloween costume. Unsure as to what they were trying to communicate.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My copy just came today (say what you want about Amazon - but they are competitively priced and fast as heck).

I have not read one word of text yet. All I did was open it up and flip through it quickly.

Based on that, the book has a ton of beautiful Trad / Ivy pictures (see below). Also, the cover shot looks incredible on the book itself; whereas, I was underwhelmed when I saw pictures of the cover on-line.

There are also many modern pictures with some of the more "fashionable" BB clothes of today, but the book is not dominated by that.

Hopefully, the text has something to offer, but if not, the Trad / Ivy pictures I saw made me glad I own it.

View attachment 19559 View attachment 19560 View attachment 19561 View attachment 19562 View attachment 19563 View attachment 19564
They were able to sneak this cute one ⇧ of Audrey in because that's a pink BB OCBD
My God- BB is MISSING an opportunity here !

There is a marketing program focusing on their OCBD just waiting to be launched.

Imagine a series of B&W photographs appearing in the Sunday NYT, the WSJ and influential print magazines. Each photograph is of an iconic figure wearing a BB OCBD, with the caption "The original. Often imitated, never duplicated."

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Finally got some time to spend with the book (about half way through). The good news is the pictures are outstanding. Sure, some of the modern ones are whatever, but there are enough really good classic Ivy / classic Brooks pics to make the book an excellent add to the collection.

The bad is the text which is obnoxiously self-promoting to the point that it's really advertising dressed up as a sartorial book.

I will go to my grave not understanding why companies can't figure out that it is better to be honest and take some lumps than to try to build a fantasy story with the company starring as Superman. If you're honest, customers will respect you more for your integrity; instead, the text in books like this one breeds cynicism

There is some interesting history - the company is the real deal on that front - but the way they try to tie it all up in a neat package of uninterrupted devotion to clothing excellence is off-putting and not serious.

Brooks wants it cake and to eat it at the same time. They want all the glow and street cred from its long, storied history and Ivy heyday, but they also want to be a mass-market, catch-the-wave brand today. That's fine, but admit it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.