Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That BB Chesterfield that some threads were discussing (now sold out and off The Brothers' website) popped up in what looked like it might be my size, so I ordered one.

It was waiting on the doorstep when I arrived home this evening.

I wear a 48R suit and tend to size down in greatcoats. At 46R this one seems to work. The fit is trim (nicely shaped at the waist) but probably roomy enough. The critical factor for me is usually whether I have enough arm and shoulder freedom to drive comfortably, and I think this coat will pass that test.

What surprised me was the label inside the yoke. It says "Fabric woven in Italy. Made in China."

The fabric is an excellent smooth 90 wool/10 cashmere in charcoal herringbone.

I've had bad experiences recently fit-wise with Chinese-made tailored garments, so I was wary, but this one, as I say, seems okay in that department.

Yet I have to admit that I feel a bit surprised, maybe even taken aback, to discover that BB is sourcing big-ticket tailored items from the People's Republic.

(To lay cards on table, I should explain that, all other things being equal, I like to buy American, but I don't make a hard-and-fast rule of the practice, and have no problem in principle with buying Chinese- or other foreign-made goods. As is the case with many on this forum, I suspect, large chunks of my wardrobe come from Italy or the British Isles. But when it comes to tailored clothing from Mainland China, IME quality can be a concern. I wonder which factory Brooks is working with to make these coats.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh gosh, I did not know that as I have one going through alterations right now... but seeing that even some of the big name Italian designers have moved production offshore, I have faith in the product. A lot of times, I think we get worked over on where the product is made and personally, I think quality control in Mainland China is definitely improving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.