Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In most things I prefer pared-down, unostentatious lines. However, when it comes to shoes, I sometimes wonder if I haven't been brainwashed in some strange government experiment, because my thoughts revert always to that rather baroque shoe, the brogue.

I already have half-a-dozen pairs, from various makers, and seem to be considering a seventh pair. Why? There is no practical justification for my wish.

Could someone talk me out of this foolishness? What are people's thoughts on brogues such as the above?

Attachments

· Registered
64 Posts

In most things I prefer pared-down, unostentatious lines. However, when it comes to shoes, I sometimes wonder if I haven't been brainwashed in some strange government experiment, because my thoughts revert always to that rather baroque shoe, the brogue.

I already have half-a-dozen pairs, from various makers, and seem to be considering a seventh pair. Why? There is no practical justification for my wish.

Could someone talk me out of this foolishness? What are people's thoughts on brogues such as the above?
I quite like them and currently have a pair in blue, red, walnut, and red/white/blue with a pair of boots in oxblood. All from AE.

Edit: And a pair in grey I bought when I lived in Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
My preference is for Oxfords, closed throat pattern. However, we must have variety - within reason of course. Brogues may be less sleek and more time consuming to properly polish but they are a fine choice nonetheless.

· Read Only
2,318 Posts
I love shoes with broguing.

Not a fan of that particular pair due to the overall shape. Very blobby, even compared to AE, not a fan of the 4 eyelets either.
My preference is for Oxfords, closed throat pattern. However, we must have variety - within reason of course. Brogues may be less sleek and more time consuming to properly polish but they are a fine choice nonetheless.
Hmm, are you and OP only referring to a particular type of brogue, the chunky 4-eyelet kind?

Oxfords can have broguing as well.

· Registered
64 Posts
I agree with Shaver. Only my boots are open throat lacing with the shoes being closed pattern. Black or merlot cap toe oxfords come out at night. I love the variety and having the option to make a decision. My wife most certainly disagrees, but doesn't seem to mind that I dress nicer than most men in my area. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Suspended
10,801 Posts

Not a fan of that particular pair due to the overall shape. Very blobby, even compared to AE, not a fan of the 4 eyelets either.

Hmm, are you and OP only referring to a particular type of brogue, the chunky 4-eyelet kind?

Oxfords can have broguing as well.
A quarter brogue but a brogue by any measure.

Edit: mea culpa. I now realise the distinction to which you refer. To my mind, rightly or wrongly (and technically it is almost certainly wrongly) an Oxford is a closed throat shoe without broguing. I like to pretend that Derbys don't exist.

;)

· Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to normally wear Oxfords, and still have two pairs, but somehow my preference changed. I acknowledge their superior sleekness. In car terms, they are sporty roadsters to my Chelsea tractor shoes.

Yes, speaking for myself, those are the particular type of brogue I have in mind at the moment. Some of my brogues are less architectural than those in the picture, but they are all built along generally similar lines. Might as well go the whole hog.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

Aren't those the C shade Keswicks?

They're an iconic, un-apologetic country shoe! One question to ask yourself is, if they're good enough for the P.O.W., are they still good enough for you? ;)

They're the sartorial equivalent of a vintage Land Cruiser. You either embrace their bodacious aesthetic, or you eschew it.

· Registered
662 Posts

I like these. I like the chunky, rounded toe. I'm looking at ordering a pair of Grenson Archies, which are even chunkier:

Footwear Brown Outdoor shoe Athletic shoe Font

· Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aren't those the C shade Keswicks?

They're an iconic, un-apologetic country shoe! One question to ask yourself is, if they're good enough for the P.O.W., are they still good enough for you? ;)

They're the sartorial equivalent of a vintage Land Cruiser. You either embrace their bodacious aesthetic, or you avoid it.
Yes, exactly so Flanderian.

I don't mind if Prince Charles wears them. I'm sure his feet are smaller than mine in any case.

The trouble is, when I look at the photo I'm like an opium smoker who unexpectedly finds himself in Whitechapel, the beguiling fumes are calling me.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Yes, exactly so Flanderian.

I don't mind if Prince Charles wears them. I'm sure his feet are smaller than mine in any case.

The trouble is, when I look at the photo I'm like an opium smoker who unexpectedly finds himself in Whitechapel, the beguiling fumes are calling me.
I had wanted a pair with the commando sole for the longest time. But I suspect the double leather sole the more authentic of the genre. It does look particularly thick, and made me wonder how the break-in goes.

If you've got the kit to wear them with, I'd think them a lovely choice.

· Registered
384 Posts
I had wanted a pair with the commando sole for the longest time.
I still want such a pair and loathe the fact that they're so hard to come by. Additionally I loathe the fact that Alfred Sargent stopped accepting single MTOs, as I really, really want a pair of Harrolds in my life.

To Langham I can only say that if those "various makers" do not include Trickers, then you should simply give in to your impulses, as in this case your subconscious brain appears to know best.

My own Bourtons have served me well for 15+ years, are currently on their 3rd soles and while I may hold my more recently acquired C&J Pembrokes in higher subjective esteem, the Bourtons will almost certainly outlast them. And possibly myself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.