Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, and I have a question about shoulder measurements. I just had my fiance take the standard jacket measurements, and no matter how we altered the position of the tape, my shoulders measure in at 21 inches. I also measured one of my tailored jackets, and it too measures 21 inches.

Looking at the suits for sale on eBay, I see that a 44R jacket seems to offer an actual chest measurement of 46 inches (I'm a 42), however I can't find a jacket with shoulders over 20 inches. Most of them seem to be around 19.5 inches. I never thought that I have particularly broad shoulders. Is everyone wearing suits with tight shoulders these days, or did I make some novice mistake while taking the measurements? We looked at several websites and followed the measurement instructions.

Also, for a 44R jacket, most pants have a 38 waist. I'm a 36, and hoping to get down to a 33-34 again. Will this be major surgery, or just a simple nip and tuck?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wear a 52L-54L depending on the cut with a 40 inch waist so I feel for you...I have to have most things made for me because they can't cut the pants or the waist of the jacket in enough...good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

2 inch adjustment in waist size is possible, without much trouble, anything more than that - you are better off getting made to measure pants.

Try to find athletic cut suits or separates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice on the pants, but what about the jacket? Should I look for a larger jacket, or can a 44R jacket with 20 inch shoulders be let out to 21 inches?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Also note that three different ebay sellers will measure the shoulders on a jacket and give you three different numbers that are technically accurate. Some measure not the shoulders but straight across the back. Some of the jackets you see listed with 20" shoulders will fit you. A fourth seller will give you numbers that are just wrong. Maybe their eight-year-old daughter did the measuring that day.

You might do better not trusting their measurements as scientifically accurate, or accurate in the sense that they reflect how a tailor would measure. Rather find a style and cut that comes consistently with broader shoulders and buy those. I would guess that the Hickey Freeman Boardroom stuff would fit your chest and shoulders. Maybe fellow forum members could recommend some other or better choices?

There was a time when everyone wanted a jacket that was roomy in the shoulders, so you should have no problem, I think, unless you are a true outlier and have a truly unusual body shape, in which case you should just go MTM or bespoke and save yourself the time.

The key to ebay success is volume. It is a buyer's market, but you cannot depend on every transaction working out beautifully for you. Buy a lot of stuff on ebay and you are sure to come out ahead. The home runs will more than make up for your losses on the duds. I am pleasant and cheerful with sellers who "burn" me, but I also cross them off the list and never re-visit their auctions. Find sellers who measure in some way you understand, find makers that consistently fit. As you focus your searches, you will have more and more success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.