Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like this thread to include links to photos of British men in, dare I say, "traditional British " clothing. Or in other words that which is considered as British style and class.

Now by that I don't just mean photos of men in tweeds, hacking jackets and plus fours :icon_smile_wink:, but in traditional town and country and traditional business and casual wear.
Also traditional college and uni wear, both worn in an out of educational institutions.
But please can we avoid the minefields of both "street wear" and formal wear (both day and evening).

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A nice illustration showing a covert coat exactly the same as mine. Note absence of velvet collar, the 4 lines of stitching on hem and cuffs, and the sloping pockets.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Wbd-uMYm...ABgY/SciG5mUUBnc/s400/fellows+covert+coat.jpg

John Lydon (the artist formerly known as Johnny Rotten) hamming it up as the country squire for a butter advert. Note, last button on waistcoat! https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/29/article-0-0270C8F900000578-31_468x585.jpg

Two MCC members - Note what I consider to be the garish MCC tie and brolly!
https://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0akjdfF5lweYH/610x.jpg

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The gentlemen on the left in the first picture reminds me of South Carolina.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here's a traditional British look:

·
Registered
350 Posts
And another:

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I think they look quite smart, especially with no break like that.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Oh? I heard men have just as much a problem with "bagging" as in the US. That is, having far too much fabric at their shoe. I prefer a slight break or none.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh? I heard men have just as much a problem with "bagging" as in the US. That is, having far too much fabric at their shoe. I prefer a slight break or none.
No, not really. Not in my experience anyway. I very rarely saw anyone in civvies or uniform with a break that went beyond say, a half inch. And defintiely not baggy. I'm talking about late 70s, 80s and 90s now.

When I moved to Sweden in 96, I got a fair bit of stick from tailors and other Swedes for the "very British, too short, non-European" length of my trousers, as one tailor put it when he was fitting me for a suit. So since then I've had a slight break.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A break on trousers in the UK is very uncommon anyway. Although the PoW's are perilously close to "flood warning" length! ;)
George's are at least touching his shoes.
I certainly haven't noticed this.

The UK is a sartorial conundrum to me, there are those with great style, as seen in this thread, and there is a higher level of formality as a whole (far more men in ties, and suits).

But that's coupled with a society that's more receptive to fashion, particularly when it's sold in cheap high street stores.
So you get more men in suits, but they're really cheap, fashion-forward garish ones from H&M and Topshop two years ago (usually too long in the trousers), accompanied with disgusting square toed faux leather shoes.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I certainly haven't noticed this.

So you get more men in suits, but they're really cheap, fashion-forward garish ones from H&M and Topshop two years ago (usually too long in the trousers), accompanied with disgusting square toed faux leather shoes.
Perhaps you're right. Perhaps standards have dropped in the UK.

I saw a photo earlier today, I'll se if I can find it again, and of all the men in suits, whose fronts you could see, most of them were tieless; and in support of what you say, in ill-fitting suits.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here it is: https://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200709/r173850_657834.jpg

Look at the tieless chap in the light gray suit directly under ST. It looks like he's borrowed the suit from someone who's six inches taller with much longer arms and a much broader and deeper body.

And look at the tieless chap on the other side, whose face you can't see, talking to one of the blue shirted staff - his jacket looks like it's falling off him it's so big.

The only person in this photo approximaitng anything near style is the chap on the far left, holding the mobile phone, nice cut, good fit.
Spoiled however not by the lack of a tie but by what is probably keys in his left trouser pocket.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.