Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Black or dark navy tie? With the blue striped shirt I am thinking I would prefer Navy.
I believe it's black, and while you certainly could wear a navy one, I'm not sure it would work as well. While black ties can be worn poorly, they can also be very valuable as a synergistic element in an ensemble. The black tie can be an exclamation point, which it is here, but also serve to absorb a lot of energy which otherwise might allow the patterns of the shirt and suit to read as discordant together.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I believe it's black, and while you certainly could wear a navy one, I'm not sure it would work as well. While black ties can be worn poorly, they can also be very valuable as a synergistic element in an ensemble. The black tie can be an exclamation point, which it is here, but also serve to absorb a lot of energy which otherwise might allow the patterns of the shirt and suit to read as discordant together.
I am good with either color - I actually have a couple of black ties - and a houndstooth jacket that looks very similar. I probably would opt for a different color shirt - or alternatively I have a super dark blue (maybe it would qualify as midnight blue) tie that would work well also and draw off the blue pinstripe. Good idea for an outfit - maybe I will wear it this week! Just have to figure out the trouser color - probably dark charcoal grey - I have a pair that's so dark I have to hold it next to black slacks to tell that its grey.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A simple clean look. Now please speculate on the trousers,...
Matching. It's a semi-sports suit appropriate for more relaxed business, or a day of leisure activities. But the jacket can be worn separately with his pair of charcoal flannel trousers as an odd jacket, and the matching trousers can serve with a navy blazer.

At least, that's the way it might be in Flanderian World! ;)

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I can tell you that the tie is navy, and that the photo posted from Tumblr doesn't do the outfit justice, as I saw the ensemble in real life, having lunch with Cleav last Thursday, along with another regular poster on That Other Website (a.k.a. styleforum.net). It was a most harmonious arrangement, and yes, it's a suit, not just a sports jacket, and it was perfect to wear for a long, leisurely lunch with friends.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I can tell you that the tie is navy, and that the photo posted from Tumblr doesn't do the outfit justice, as I saw the ensemble in real life, having lunch with Cleav last Thursday, along with another regular poster on That Other Website (a.k.a. styleforum.net). It was a most harmonious arrangement, and yes, it's a suit, not just a sports jacket, and it was perfect to wear for a long, leisurely lunch with friends.
Yes, I kind of thought the tie might be dark navy which I like much more with the shirt.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the clarification! Reads as black on my monitor, but such are monitors. (Or given my advancing decrepitude it could as easily be my eyes! :confused:)

I'm especially delighted to learn that he had that handsome cloth made up as a suit. I've long of thought of one similar, and while that's not in the cards, it's so nice to see it done well. It's my opinion that for this pattern to look good as a suit, both the cloth and tailoring has to be top shelf.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,101 Posts
It would be a handsome addition to one's wardrobe but given the casual approach to live in the PNW I am hard pressed to come up with an excuse for commissioning one. As a sport coat over a turtleneck, now, the possibility rises.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,101 Posts
That is a possibility. I have a summer one so perhaps a sport suit for cooler weather (tonight's low is 22º) is something to be considered. A b/w houndstooth over a grey/navy/maroon turtleneck? Interesting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.