Men's Clothing Forums banner

Briefcase Color

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  poetman 
#1 ·
I am about to order a new briefcase and am debating between chocolate, conker, and chestnut. I would like others' opinions on how these colors will look when aged over time, and generally which color people prefer.

I like the contrast between the darker chocolate leather and brass accents but wonder if I will find it a bit plain after sometime. Conker is a bit lighter but perhaps not as striking as the other two? Chestnut seems nice while new, but I wonder how it will patina. I should day, I do not have a patina fetish like most people who purchase leather. I like chocolate because if well cared for it looks new 50 years later. A chestnut bag will have marks that darken (creating patina), which sometimes just looks sloppy to me. Perhaps others have helpful examples of the above colors when aged?

What color do you all prefer? Any helpful dialogue is appreciated.

#2 ·
The leather catalogue cases in which I carried the tech orders for the weapons systems I crewed during my military service were constructed of black leather. The civilian messenger bags, briefcases and utility satchels I've carried have entered service with a dark brown or chocolate hue and over the years of use have weathered to show appropriate degrees of wear and tear, based on the numbers of years they have been in my service.

#3 ·
Patina fetish? That's a new one.

I have a dark brown leather bag. It's aged well and shows minimal.....patina.

The chestnut is just too light. For me, it's not so much an issue of wear and patina. Such a light color would stand out too much.

#8 ·
Thank you for the replies--and especially for the photo, SG. I find myself liking conker and chestnut while new but wonder if they will look weathered rather than patina'd in the next decade or so. There's a simplicity about the chocolate--a bit plain--that causes hesitation, but I also feel like the darker color is more elegant looking.

#10 ·
What follows is a shot of the three leather bags presently serving my needs for such , being held by the Chief Connoisseur of Fine Leathers in the Eagles roost (AKA: SWMBO). Going from the top, left to right, we have a Tumi Expandable Soft side that I've been carrying for 25+ years; a Custom Hides 1945 Vintage Army Briefcase that I've been carrying for going on 4 or 5 years and the third case is Colonel Littleton's #1 Grip Bag that I've been using for weekend travels for, I think, close to 10 years. They have all served me well and will continue doing so for the indefinite future! Take your pick

Hair Face Joint Furniture Sleeve

#13 ·
What follows is a shot of the three leather bags presently serving my needs for such , being held by the Chief Connoisseur of Fine Leathers in the Eagles roost (AKA: SWMBO). Going from the top, left to right, we have a Tumi Expandable Soft side that I've been carrying for 25+ years; a Custom Hides 1945 Vintage Army Briefcase that I've been carrying for going on 4 or 5 years and the third case is Colonel Littleton's #1 Grip Bag that I've been using for weekend travels for, I think, close to 10 years. They have all served me well and will continue doing so for the indefinite future! Take your pick
Which one has the Luger compartment and the bandolier tuckaway?

#11 ·
Thank you for the photos, Eagle. The chocolate leather under consideration is probably closer to your CH brief though I wish it were a hair lighter like your Colonel grip, which is a lovely bag by the way. The conker shade is nice, but it’s lighter than chestnut. I am starting to think that the chestnut and conker shade briefs look nice on their own but that the darker leather would look more distinguished and also blend better with various colors.

#12 ·
When I graduated high school, my dad gave me a Hartman briefcase in their tan belting leather, advising me that it would improve with age (that aforementioned patina.)

That was 33 years ago, and it certainly did! Kind of a rich, deep cognac at this point.

The actual *style* is something I haven't liked in years (traditional hard case), but I keep it around out of sentiment.

But that's a color I've gone for, kind of a cognac. A black briefcase is just, well, black, and not my thing (I'm no fan of black shoes, either). A brown case needs to be *nice* or it just looks cheap (to me), but a cognac just looks - dare I use the word - "classy".

A cognac messenger bag would be my go-to if I still carried leather cases.

DH

#16 ·
Thank you for the advice, everyone. I ultimately went for chocolate: conker was too close to London Tan, and hence too light for me; chestnut was too red, and the darkness I admired in it was far from guaranteed from one batch to another; chocolate matched everything, always looked distinguished, and never competed with my attire. The darker color always had an elegance I admired. Again, thank you for the feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.