Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had a pair of beautiful under knee length plus 2 breeks made & after going out shooting with a very good friend of mine I came under fire for opting for non tweed, plain coloured fabric. I argued that with my heavy tweed shooting jacket the dark green plain breeks worked magnificiently & kept me warm & dry (which is the most important thing to be fair!) whilst my friend argued that breeks should always be tweed?
Any thoughts on this hotly debated issue?!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My question is why not +4's or +6's !

Most of the time shooting I wear plain / herringbone tweed +n's in subdued colours with a bolder overchecked tweed shooting jacket or field coat.

If it's very warm I have a pair of plain brown whipcord +2's.

Works well for me.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
whilst my friend argued that breeks should always be tweed?
Breeks do not have to be tweed, although mine are.

kept me warm & dry which is the most important thing to be fair!
I disagree with that. One has to be dressed appropriately (e.g. tweed, etc). After all, this then leads to the point that as long as one is warm, one does not need to be dressed appropriately or in traditional attire.

I have recently had a pair of beautiful under knee length plus 2 breeks
I also prefer +2. +4 are too baggy, while normal breeks are too trim for field sports; in my opinion.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In Scotland I wear a heavy plain heather-green kilt. In England tweed breeks matching the jacket. I have worn Musto cotton breeks in warmer weather as well. In no case have I been scolded for my kit. The key, I think, is simply to always always wear a tie.

Best

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
In Scotland I wear a heavy plain heather-green kilt. In England tweed breeks matching the jacket. I have worn Musto cotton breeks in warmer weather as well. In no case have I been scolded for my kit. The key, I think, is simply to always always wear a tie.

Best
You may want to check that with the poor sod down in Texas who made a behind-his-back comment about Dick Cheney's hunting habit.

Buzz

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you rough shooting or is this a formal shooting line? Rough shooting, I see no problem with the attire. Even a line these days, the dress codes seem to have been relaxed.

i see noproblem as long as it looks good!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If the breeks are tweed they should match the jacket or coat.
Since you have a tweed coat, and unless you are able to match it, the solid breeks are fine and actually more versatile. They will go with whatever coat, jacket or waistcoat you may wear depending upon the conditions.

Cheers

·
Registered
350 Posts
If the breeks are tweed they should match the jacket or coat.
Since you have a tweed coat, and unless you are able to match it, the solid breeks are fine and actually more versatile. They will go with whatever coat, jacket or waistcoat you may wear depending upon the conditions.

Cheers
I would agree with this view. Moleskin breeks are a good option in terms of flexibility.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If you are worried enough about this to ask this question, then either get tweed or don't hunt with snobs.

Were you taking more game? Probably just envy, then.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm with you, solid is fine.
Caveat: I've never been shooting in my life and do not know the protocol.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Gosh, I fear I would be quite the sad sight, out hunting in my old 'Tin-cloth' hunting gear, while others "stood the line", properly dressed in tweed breeks! My point to the OP is to enjoy your sport. If your gear is comfortable, keeping you warm and dry and protecting you from the 'ever aggressive' briar patch, my sense is, it is made of the "right stuff"! ;)

·
Banned
298 Posts
Tweed. all the way!!

I personally prefer Tweeds and especially the Plus Fours as I find Breeks in Moleskin a little too leg hugging and tight..

The whole point of the loose fit is to be able to be active and athletic whilst out in the field
RBH

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.