Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I was a young man, I wore braces almost everyday with my suits. I thought braces were fun and sophisticated. Over the years I stopped, and now I'm a middle-aged man who's not nearly as svelte as his younger self. I've been thinking more and more about wearing braces again, more for comfort (and better hanging trousers). However I don't wear suits anymore and wear a tie a couple times a month (maybe). Daily wardrobe is wool trouser and odd jacket. Would braces be out of place with that look? If not, what style of braces would look best (material, colors, patterns, etc)? I found a pair of brown braided leather braces in my closet. I think those would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Of course you can wear braces with a jacket and trousers. I don't think they have quite the same connotation of formality as perhaps something like cuff links but that is in large part due to the functionality of braces versus cuff links where there is no advantage over buttons. Of course most formal outfits probably should have braces and no belt.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Over thinking. Braces are for holding up trousers. If they are more comfortable? All the better.

As far as how young men think. That was for fun.

You have moved on for other purposes, and they are valid.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Certainly suspenders can be worn with a sport jacket and trousers. I also wore nothing else for about 30 years in business, but as a pensioner now also find myself rarely in a suit. They were something of a fetish, and I still have a box full of them. Must have about 40 pair.

I think most of them can be worn with sports jacket and trousers with a little care, but some lend themselves more naturally to such less formal attire. Leather as you mentioned is one. I still prize a Paul Stuart pair I picked up around '85 in fine snuff calf suede with gold plated hardware and baby croc findings. Another pair are smooth grain pigskin in tan.

I've got two pair in fair isle knits. Another in jewel tone paisley velvet. And quite a few special editions from Trafalgar brand including one of intricately woven fishing lures in multiple colors on a tan ground and another of bronco riding cowboys on a pale rust ground. I've worn all of those with more casual ensembles, and some obviously only with such. And while these might be particularly well suited to casual wear due to their more unusual nature, there's absolutely no reason that simple striped versions can't serve just as well if chosen with care.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Among others, Trafalgar brand still sells braces, and having many of their old examples, I must say I've found the quality entirely acceptable. They have quite a variety, both plain and fancy, though I confess to a weakness for the fancy.

https://www.trafalgarstore.com/collections/braces-suspenders

For example, here is a forest green velvet. While that may seem odd, try it with some brown tweed and an ecru cotton oxford shirt and tweed tie. I think you might like the result.

Their limited edition versions are also interesting, with the side show being one very extroverted possibility with the right items, such as a solid silk knit tie in a complementary color and plain shirt.

But past Limited Edition collections have offered much richer and more useful variants. Perhaps they will again, they are, after all, limited.

The pair on the extreme right is the fishing fly version that's in my collection. Its appearance in the flesh is a good deal richer than captured here.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
In my early 60's and I was introduced to Braces with two of my suits after losing 55 pds. Even my walnut herringbone trousers have buttons ready for them. Losing weight I lost my butt, things do not fit as well, braces help with that. isn't life fun?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Squats and deadlifts.
Not so easily done at his age. I'm a former powerlifter who at 54 trying is to get back into lifting. The muscles don't recover in two days like in my youth, they don't build up easily like in my youth either. I find this abhorrence of braces among the current generation amusing and honestly, if he's wearing a jacket, who is going to see the braces anyways? Just wearing a sport coat or blazer nowadays will get you plenty of strange looks,why worry about a few more over the braces?

I had to stop by a drugstore yesterday on the way to a funeral (wife forgot her lipstick) without my jacket on and no one laughed or made fun of me and I wouldn't have cared if they did.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m wearing a pair today to the office. It’s taking a little to get used to them, and it feels odd not to be wearing a tie. However, I forgot just how comfortable braces are to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,101 Posts
Having just had abdominal surgery a month ago, I find braces much easer on my incision line. In face, today is the first time I've worn a belt since the procedure. They make wonderful sense from a comfort viewpoint and give you something to amuse yourself with. Where's the downside?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Having just had abdominal surgery a month ago, I find braces much easer on my incision line. In face, today is the first time I've worn a belt since the procedure.
It's understandable that you'd want to be very careful not to disturb your incision line following abdominal surgery. But wearing your belt around your face is carrying caution a bit too far, isn't it? Did people give you odd looks?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I've found my pair of "naked lady" (Actually Greek statuary) suspenders given as a gift from a previous girlfriend that I thought my wife had thrown away, but had only hidden! ;) Artfully rendered in pink flesh tones, grey and white, I'll now have to find an occasion! :D

Here are some additional examples of Traflagar's Limited Edition suspenders. They're fashioned from intricately woven silk, and I find them handsome, droll and useful.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,101 Posts
It's understandable that you'd want to be very careful not to disturb your incision line following abdominal surgery. But wearing your belt around your face is carrying caution a bit too far, isn't it? Did people give you odd looks?
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
:beer:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Not so easily done at his age. I'm a former powerlifter who at 54 trying is to get back into lifting. The muscles don't recover in two days like in my youth, they don't build up easily like in my youth either. I find this abhorrence of braces among the current generation amusing and honestly, if he's wearing a jacket, who is going to see the braces anyways? Just wearing a sport coat or blazer nowadays will get you plenty of strange looks,why worry about a few more over the braces?

I had to stop by a drugstore yesterday on the way to a funeral (wife forgot her lipstick) without my jacket on and no one laughed or made fun of me and I wouldn't have cared if they did.
Agree, it is harder on the older lifter. But you can do some other exercises that are very effective like RDLs and Bulgarian split squats. Or front squats. All at lighter weights that are less likely to cause injury but can add some mass. I have changed up my routine the last 2 1/2 years and have added significant ass mass. So it can be done even in the AARP group!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.