Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stack? I don't even wear a wristwatch and have given up wearing a fitbit. And looking at the prices in the article I'm likely to stay that way.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^H/B, you have nailed it. However, recent college/university graduates may want to add a class ring to that mix for at least a few years past graduation. After that slip on the class ring on selected football Saturdays throughout the Fall season! ;)

· Registered
777 Posts
^^H/B, you have nailed it. However, recent college/university graduates may want to add a class ring to that mix for at least a few years past graduation. After that slip on the class ring on selected football Saturdays throughout the Fall season! ;)
I don't even get the class ring thing, but you're right, I'm sure that is technically acceptable.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
I stopped wearing a watch when my Seamaster's strap broke; in the time I took to have it fixed (and I also had it cleaned up and routine maintenance done), I just got out of the habit of wearing a watch. If i'm out, I can just look at my phone, and at home I just ask Alexa (that's a whole separate post, but WOW is Alexa handy!): "Alexa, what time is it?"

Alexa always reminds me of stuff too. "Alexa, remind me to change the air filters tomorrow", etc. No watch does that for me.

I wear a wedding ring when I'm out of the house (unless I'm going hiking or something, in which case it stays home). As soon as I enter the house, off it comes and into the box where my keys, wallet, and pocket knife reside. I have never liked wearing jewelry, rings included. I never even ordered class rings for that very reason.

That said, I think jewelry on men is fine. To each his own. I do think it should have a story - ie. not be "mere" decor - like it was a gift, or looted from a defeated enemy or what have you. I have a colleague - Austrian guy - who wears this sort of bracelet of braided leather with some beads on it; apparently it was given to him by this beautiful young Brazilian woman... may he wear it in health.

(I vaguely recall as a kid back in the 70s there was a craze for men's neck chains - maybe this was related to "Saturday Night Fever" - and I was given such a chain. Even then, I just knew it wasn't *me*, and so I never wore it.)

DH

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
That said, I think jewelry on men is fine. To each his own. I do think it should have a story - ie. not be "mere" decor - like it was a gift, or looted from a defeated enemy or what have you.
I routinely wear my wedding band and a watch. However, occasionally I also wear a ring I've had resized for the ring finger of my right hand that was given to me as a gift upon graduation from high school by my mother and aunt. It is an oval gold setting with black onyx set with a very small stone in the center. Originally, the stone had been that of the wedding ring of my proxy grandmother which she had requested be given to me for that occasion, and which had been kept by my aunt for that purpose.

On a tangent, I'm pretty sure the original stone got popped and replaced by a larcenous jeweler while being resized. But I still enjoy wearing it occasionally as it brings back memories of loved ones who are gone.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Watch and wedding band are standard for me. But let’s not forget religious items. I wear mine 24/7 365, but it is never seen by anyone but myself and wife, and those at the beach and pool.

Where do we place cufflinks and studs? Are they jewelry, or functional clothing accesssories?

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Where do we place cufflinks and studs? Are they jewelry, or functional clothing accesssories?
Good question, I'd forgotten about those. And while I really don't find occasion to wear French cuff shirts any longer, links, and also studs are most certainly jewelry. And precisely why some men who have a fear of same and refuse to wear links. And certainly if the links look like the Crown Jewels of England, for good reason! :D

But simpler more tasteful versions are just part of a long line of masculine refinement and self expression.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Watch and wedding band are standard for me. But let's not forget religious items. I wear mine 24/7 365, but it is never seen by anyone but myself and wife, and those at the beach and pool.

"Religious items?" I carry a Bible around with me much of the time...Please don't tell me that counts as jewelry! These days it's on an e-reader...a whole lot lighter and arguably more convenient. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.