• Often

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Exclusively

Votes: 5 4.9%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I wore one to church recently, but that was after a year or so of not having worn one.

Most people are OK with bow ties, perhaps seeing them as a nice change of pace. But some aren't. What if someone you care about thinks your rep-striped bat-wing makes you look goofy? Bow ties can be polarizing this way.

If you're an architect or a consulting engineer, it's practical to wear a bow tie instead of a regular tie, what with proximity to construction materials, mechanical equipment, and large sheets of paper. I frequently wore one when I worked as a consultant and never got so much as a raised eyebrow either in the office or at at the job site.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wear ties frequently and tend to wear bows more often than not. But strangely enough, I tend to go through phases. Right now, I'm in an exclusive bow tie phase. At some point, the pendulum will swing and I'll go to wearing four-in-hands for a while. It really depends on what mood I'm in or how I am feeling.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Does Brioni make bowties?

·
Registered
513 Posts
never bow to pressure

Some offices raise more eyebrows than others. In my most recent one a younger colleague, seeing me in a bow, took the trouble to explain that they were associated with nerds. I wonder if he would've told Malcolm X that?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The proof is in the soup

I don't like to wear long ties. (I have nothing against the way they look, but they get in the soup).

My work does not require ties, so I only wear them for pleasure or for social occasions.

Thus, unless an occasion calls for a long tie, I wear a bow tie.
You echo Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., who said he wore bow ties because it was practically impossible to get them in the soup. Having endured my favorite long ties spotted with vinaigrette, I add my voice to this sentiment.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I typically wear a bow tie once or twice in a work month. I enjoy the variation. People seem impressed that I can tie my own -- I often get asked about that.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I used to exclusively wear bows and I simply owned neck ties for shoots and googles. I think I was turned off by the necktie because often times it looked so terrible sans coat. I picked up bows when I first began caring about how I dressed and thus it became a signature. But I have recently discovered the beauty of neck ties and I've picked up around 10 in the last year. Now the tally stands at about 40-50 bows and 15 neck ties.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.