Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy new accessory for my wardrobe, So suggest me which is in still fashion bow tie or ascot tie ?

I have never seen lot of people wearing bow ties and ascot ties , so will it be a good decision to buy one of them ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do not think that either is in fashion at present, but I would choose a bow tie. Ascot ties (if we talk about these American ascots, worn with opened collar) is a way to go if you prefer less formal look.

Best regards, Dr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not think that either is in fashion at present, but I would choose a bow tie. Ascot ties (if we talk about these American ascots, worn with opened collar) is a way to go if you prefer less formal look.

Best regards, Dr
But don't you think so that level of comfortness is much in ascot tie rather than in a bow tie

·
Registered
199 Posts
More informal = more comfortable. I do not feel uncomfortable in a bow tie, anyway.

Best regards, Dr

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bow ties are awesome. When I wear them to work, occasionally young women on the street will make favorable comments about the tie.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In fashion... none
Unique and eccentric... both
It's a matter of taste, really. If you plan to wear it to work or stuff like that, the bow tie is more appropriate. Otherwise, it's your pick.
I hope when you say ascot you mean the kind that is worn under the shirt. The other one's use is restricted to morning dress.

·
4,819 Posts
Bow ties are in fashion since 08-09, ascots I've not seen.

The new Doctor wears a bow. Kanye wears one. Bryan Ferry too. Not sure if they are people to be followed fashionwise (we dont follow, we lead) but bows are becoming less eccentric. Women tend to like them as well.

Never wear a pretied one though, they look horrible IMO.

I wear a bow tie on Fridays to work sometimes, but we have very lax standards. Navy with white dots most often.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
bows are becoming less eccentric. Women tend to like them as well.
Ditto that. I wore a bow tie for the first time yesterday. Got fewer "hey, bow tie!" comments than expected, and my wife said she liked the look and I could wear them more often as far as she was concerned. I hadn't expected it to be such a ho-hum deal, but hey, all the better.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I've nothing against Kanye West's bow tie, but I wouldn't want to be compared to that man in any other way!

But yes, get a bow tie if anything. The ascot or day cravat (I believe that's the proper term for the kind worn with an open collar) are infinitely more eccentric. Some guys pull them off, but I don't have the courage.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
But yes, get a bow tie if anything. The ascot or day cravat (I believe that's the proper term for the kind worn with an open collar) are infinitely more eccentric. Some guys pull them off, but I don't have the courage.
A bowtie is perfectly acceptable party or office wear in many places. I'm not sure, actually, where the OP is from, so I can't say if it's such a place. But a cravat is a whole other creature, best reserved for people who 1) own a yacht, or 2) have the panache to act like they do.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A bowtie is perfectly acceptable party or office wear in many places. I'm not sure, actually, where the OP is from, so I can't say if it's such a place. But a cravat is a whole other creature, best reserved for people who 1) own a yacht, or 2) have the panache to act like they do.
Wore a cotton madras bow tie to Church on Sunday, and besides the comments of: "you can tie a bowtie yourself!".... got this gem from a 9 year old.

"Bow ties are really quite out of fashion, right" said the young boy.

My response - "nothing is out of fashion if you are confident"

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Unfortunately I found out that he was just another spam account.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Wore a cotton madras bow tie to Church on Sunday, and besides the comments of: "you can tie a bowtie yourself!".... got this gem from a 9 year old.

"Bow ties are really quite out of fashion, right" said the young boy.

My response - "nothing is out of fashion if you are confident"
Or, as an alternative: "How the hell would you know?"

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Flip Richards redux?
Nope, he was shilling for the same men's clothing website who spammed my blog one time. When I contacted them about this, they claimed they would look into the methods of the marketing firm they hired. Guess they didn't look far enough. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.