Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is the bottom button on a tuxedo vest buttoned or opened? I know that the bottom button on a regular 3 piece vest is always left open, but what about a tux vest.

I ask because my son is going to his prom this weekend and of course, he had to rent a tuxedo. During the fitting, I told my son to leave the bottom button on the vest open and the young lady who was assisting us said it should be closed.

I kindly shared with her the rule regarding the bottom button on a vest with a regular suit and she said the bottom button on a vest with a tux is buttoned. I will admit that the tux vest does look better with the button closed as opposed to being opened, but does the bottom button rules change with a tuxedo vest? Again apologies in advance.

Danny

· Banned
16,023 Posts
There are exceptions with suiting waistcoats. If it's a six button, five to close model then all except the bottom "show" button should be fastened.

· Registered
100 Posts
It is a standard vest not a low-cut one.
Then he should leave the bottom button unbuttoned.

On another note, is there a term to differentiate the style of vest worn with a tuxedo from a normal vest? Waistcoat and vest don't have any difference in meaning, do they? Considering it, it seems like waistcoat is the more accurate term for the one worn with a tuxedo, though I don't think that's actually the case.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
They are all the same thing. Some Americans and Canadians here simply prefer the British term.

I just realised the redundancy of my last post, by the way. :icon_pale:

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen,

Thank you all so much for your help. I really do appreciate it. Of course, the tuxedo my son got is typical one would find at a local rental shop. Low to medium quality I am sure. But, at least he picked a conservative one-button jacket. Thanks again.

Danny

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Gentlemen,

Thank you all so much for your help. I really do appreciate it. Of course, the tuxedo my son got is typical one would find at a local rental shop. Low to medium quality I am sure. But, at least he picked a conservative one-button jacket. Thanks again.

Danny
Good. I was recently in a tux rental place looking for white tie attire for my groomsmen (figuring they wouldn't be willing to buy like me). There was a guy in there getting fitted for a white on white tonal stripe 5 button "tux" with hacking pockets, and by hacking pockets, I mean they were diagonal with the top being closest to the arm. Anyway, the guy was making fun of a kid who got a standard black tux.

I just laughed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.