Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my first Borrelli button-sleeve shirt that I ordered at a very good price from Ebay. I like it well enough that I'm considering ordering these two shirts to wear with a suit. The gray one is $159 and the white one is $139 online. Are there any better prices at other sites? The nearest store that might stock them is a 6-hour drive each way. I've been watching Ebay and other sites, but I haven't found a good French cuff shirt yet.

I normally wear a 15.5 collar. The gray one is 15.75, but it is slim fit so the measurements aren't too bad. The white one is a 15. I haven't been able to find a white in a 15.5". I see that they make white 1/2" collar extenders, so I don't think it would be noticable under a tie. I'll need to have both tapered.

Before someone suggests MTM, I'm not confident that they'll turn out exactly right. My tailor is finishing one shirt for me now. He called me in the check the fit. I think it's going to turn out very well, and it was way too baggy to start with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I normally wear a 15.5 collar. The gray one is 15.75, but it is slim fit so the measurements aren't too bad. The white one is a 15. I haven't been able to find a white in a 15.5". I see that they make white 1/2" collar extenders, so I don't think it would be noticable under a tie. I'll need to have both tapered.
quote]

Collar extenders are ok as a last-resort (like when a shirt is mis-sized, but you bought it two years ago, and are only now opening the package). But I think you should wait until the perfect shirt comes along. The collar 'V' will not come together, entirely, with a collar extender, which is not ideal.

If you ever do get a shirt with a too-small neck, try ironing it dry, stretching and holding the collar in tension multiple times....each time it cools from application of the iron. Allowing it to reach room temperature while in tension will set the memory of the cotton. It's not too different from post-tensioning a slab. You can get at least a quarter-inch of extra room, that way.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
in that first picture it looks like it the shirt has those massively thick wedding cake buttons, I love that on a shirt but it can be a bear to get them through a standard button hole. Very sharp, happy hunting. Forget the collar extender and just watch and wait for the perfect size to come along, they probably match the other shirt dimensions to the collar dimensions so even if you extend the collar it might leave the shirt being small all over. This isn't the kind of shirt you want to buy RTW in anything but the right size, the bummer is having to wait for the right swag to show up on ebay.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
in that first picture it looks like it the shirt has those massively thick wedding cake buttons, I love that on a shirt but it can be a bear to get them through a standard button hole. Very sharp, happy hunting. Forget the collar extender and just watch and wait for the perfect size to come along, they probably match the other shirt dimensions to the collar dimensions so even if you extend the collar it might leave the shirt being small all over. This isn't the kind of shirt you want to buy RTW in anything but the right size, the bummer is having to wait for the right swag to show up on ebay.
The Borrelli shirt I just received has the same buttons except that the one for the collar is thinner. I don't think I'll have trouble with the 15.75 since it will give me a little extra room.

I have some size 15 shirts that I have no intention of ever wearing with ties. I think I'll go buy a collar extender just to see how bad it looks. I see what you mean about the collar not coming together all the way.

In general, which of those two collar shapes looks better with suits? I assume I would use a larger tie knot with the gray one?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Check out Lance @ VirtualClothesHorse - he just got in a new shipment of Borrelli earlier this week:

https://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/index.php?attribute=Size&category_id=11083253317&page=shop%2Fattbrowse&=&att_value=15.5
Thanks! I never would have found that.

How would this one work with a charcoal suit with a faint blue pinstripe? They have it in a 15.75. I think I would prefer a solid, twill, or herringbone if I had the choice. It also looks like thinner fabric compared to the white one above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ordered the gray one. I'm still searching for the perfect white shirt if anyone has any suggestions. I'd prefer a higher-end Italian French cuff shirt in a 15.5 or 15.75.
I'm one to never let an opportunity go to waste...... can't hurt to look or try out the Distino French cuff shirts. They are available in full cut 15.5.:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm one to never let an opportunity go to waste...... can't hurt to look or try out the Distino French cuff shirts. They are available in full cut 15.5.:icon_smile_wink:
Looks like nice shirts. Can you sew in a tag that says "Hand Made in Italy"? :icon_smile_big: Kidding, of course!

Seriously, I have to add $30 in tailoring to any RTW French cuff shirt I buy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the gray Borrelli today. It looks terrific! I just need to have some minor alterations made and find the perfect tie for it.

I'm still looking for a white French cuff shirt. I'm leaning towards this Barba based on the collar. It is a "superfine twill". It seems several people on this forum like Barba's white shirts, but are any other brands significantly better? I've also found a Brioni and a Truzzi that might work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.