Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of wearing some Sperry topsiders in the rain only to have them sorta leak when i step in puddles. It gets maybe 3 days of snow a year here in Memphis so snow boots might be overkill. Also, the winters are mildish, we may get a cold snap where it is below freezing but most times, it is above freezing even in winter. So I am thinking insulated boots might not be desireable.

Saw some Hunter brand Chelsea boots and then there is the venerable LL Bean boots in various forms. I don't want to spend a lot but then again, I don't think I would find them in some store like Payless.

Thoughts on a chelsea or a moc style over say the 6 inch Bean? How do they run compared to say my 9D that I wear in loafers and dress shoes (Nike tennis shoes, I take a 10 or 10.5)

If I go with Hunter, these are the three I have looked at:

These Hunters are a 10 and attractively priced Since I am a nine, I could get an insole.

Another Chelsea

A black Wellington, maybe too high of a cut?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tired of wearing some Sperry topsiders in the rain only to have them sorta leak when i step in puddles. It gets maybe 3 days of snow a year here in Memphis so snow boots might be overkill. Also, the winters are mildish, we may get a cold snap where it is below freezing but most times, it is above freezing even in winter. So I am thinking insulated boots might not be desireable.

Saw some Hunter brand Chelsea boots and then there is the venerable LL Bean boots in various forms. I don't want to spend a lot but then again, I don't think I would find them in some store like Payless.

Thoughts on a chelsea or a moc style over say the 6 inch Bean? How do they run compared to say my 9D that I wear in loafers and dress shoes (Nike tennis shoes, I take a 10 or 10.5)

If I go with Hunter, these are the three I have looked at:

These Hunters are a 10 and attractively priced Since I am a nine, I could get an insole.

Another Chelsea

A black Wellington, maybe too high of a cut?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Getting some Beans. Options are:

6" (easier to get in and out?) priced $119

Gumshoe (lower styling, more a shoe, not a boot, perhaps more likely to wear?) priced $109

8 inch (easier to tuck pants in, or leave tops unlaced and tuck front in, and they have an 8" with tumbled leather and padded collar. Wonder if the collar makes a difference but they say the tumbled leather is softer and more broken in) $129 for regular, $139 for tumbled with padded collar

Gotta decide today, last day for 25% off.

Thoughts?

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
If you're looking for a waterproof alternative to topsiders, the Bean gumshoes might be a good alternative as long as you don't have to ford anything more than a couple of inches deep. I wear them exclusively for wet work (if you'll pardon the term) in my garden, and I'm sure they will be pressed into service when I have to walk my wife's new hunting dog in the rain.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I wore my Carmina Suede chukkas in the rain the other day. They do have rubber soles and I have treated them with protector. I had to step in some serious puddles along the way and was certain I was going to trash them. Held up great - no wet socks nor leakage. I am beginning to believe that Nanotech can conquer all!

·
Registered
500 Posts
These boots worked out great. 6 inch boots were spot on for me. Taller than the gum shoe and not quite a full on boot, more like chelsea-height
Good call.....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Depending on how long you wear your pants - the 8" Bean boots will likely work well for you to tuck an inch or so in.

I am onto second decade of my Bean boots and they are probably my favorite article of clothing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.