Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What, to your eye, appears to be the best pant length to wear with ankle high boots? I have three pairs of boots, and I enjoy wearing them. I recently sold a pair. Anyway, they just don't look right when worn with my usual styled pant length: no break. Should boots be accounted for when wearing pants, and should they, the pants, have a noticeable break on account of the boots? Should fall/winter pants generally be longer than spring/summer ones, even when boots are not worn? Keep in mind the boots are city styles (for what that's worth to the purists), and I live in a city and wear thin materials. In other words, I wear boots as a fashion statement, not a utility.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What, to your eye, appears to be the best pant length to wear with ankle high boots? I have three pairs of boots, and I enjoy wearing them. I recently sold a pair. Anyway, they just don't look right when worn with my usual styled pant length: no break. Should boots be accounted for when wearing pants, and should they, the pants, have a noticeable break on account of the boots? ...
I prefer a slight break with boots, if only for practical reasons: it is annoying when the trouser hem keeps catching on the back of the boot.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Because of their design, many boots require a bit longer leg on your trousers, to allow the trouser hem to properly rest on the toe of your boots and for the hem at the rear of the trouser leg to extend halfway down the heel of the boots. When wearing anything more than a 'high-top' shoe design (ankle boot, with a single sole and a 1/2" heel), I find it necessary to add a half inch or more to my trouser inseams, to achieve the desired effect.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I prefer a slight break with boots, if only for practical reasons: it is annoying when the trouser hem keeps catching on the back of the boot.
+1

I think boots with short pants looks too Beatlesesque.. Dashing in the 60s, but maybe slightly anachronistic now..

Oddly enough, when I got the mental image of the black trousers with no break over the chelseas, I may just try that after all this weekend..

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If you watch the old Andy Griffith Show you will notice that almost everytime Andy gets out of the car one of his pant legs is caught on the top of his boot. I had never really given this a second thought until the other day when I was watching an episode with my 20 year old daughter and she commented on how "annoying" that was to her to see that. Of course being 20 she thinks almost all men wear their pants too short. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Because of their design, many boots require a bit longer leg on your trousers, to allow the trouser hem to properly rest on the toe of your boots and for the hem at the rear of the trouser leg to extend halfway down the heel of the boots.
I have two trousers purchased to be worn only with boots, although mine are longer then then an inch.

It will depend on the boots, with one boot I can only wear a certain trouser because it needs a wider trouser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.