Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bookster Tweed reappeared about 3 years ago after going of business and not be able to make good on their existing orders and I was one the unfortunate ones that was caught up in it . Luckily for me I was rescued by Bespoke Mears and they went on to make several garments for me . Mears has been sold . I'm reaching out to see if any forum members have had garments made by Bookster since their resurrection and what your experience was ?

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I'm sorry, but I do not have any experience with them, nor know of anyone else who has ordered recently.

I can only add that a gentleman purporting to be a principle in the newly constructed Bookster engaged here a few years ago and swore up and down that the new Bookster is a sound business offering a quality product. And he was moderately forthcoming about some particulars when queried.

Bookster was recently featured in the superb blog Tweedland -

https://tweedlandthegentlemansclub.blogspot.com/2018/01/tweedland-will-visit-some-tailoring.html

I find the gentleman who authors it to be both cosmopolitan and possessed of integrity. Whether his report is just general information, or results from any personal experience, I can't say. You might ask him directly. I know he finds very nice visual images for his publication, so I'm sure that was part of his choosing Bookster as a subject.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
How much continuity is there between Bookster 2.0 and the original? As I recall, the original Bookster operated for years with satisfied customers. However, they ran into a series of reverses and folded, leaving a number of customers with unfulfilled orders holding the bag, as noted in the OP.

As I have noted before in threads about Bookster, I bought an overcoat from the original Bookster not long before they folded, and they were more than fair in their dealings with me and probably didn't make a penny off my order in the end.

As to the new Bookster, they have a lot of great looking fabrics and may be fine if you're a good ready-to-wear fit. However, I am always chary of long-distance made-to-measure.

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,164 Posts
Well, so Mears has been sold. So what? Has anyone had an unfortunate experience with the new owners? Has anyone even dealt with the new owners? I find this continued plaint of "Oh, it's been sold. Now the world is coming to an end" rather annoying. Until someone can cite a reference to unsatisfactory service from the newly configured company, I will keep open the possibility of doing business with them.

· Registered
3,969 Posts
Will Rogers said something like, "Never met a man I didn't like." Which means he gave the person a chance to prove good no matter what other people said. But also opened the door so the guy could prove worthless.

New owners should have an opportunity to prove either way. So don't buy ten coats from them at once right off the bat. Hopefully they do a great job with the company.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
A few years before Bookster suffered their problems I had several pair of MTM moleskin trousers made by them, in the style of Cordings moleskin trouser, also purchased a ready made hacking jacket. I was quite satisfied with all and prices very fair. Have not had any dealings with them since but if I had a need, which I do not, I might give them a shot again. Have not dealt with Mears.

· Registered
5 Posts
Spoke with them today on the phone.

They confirmed that the website is currently not operative for placing orders. Did not give me any more details by phone and ask me to send them an email. And so I did. Now awaiting response.

Had a couple of MTM jackets made by Mears last year and was quite happy with the result for £340. Hope they keep offering the service.

Let's see.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Spoke with them today on the phone.

They confirmed that the website is currently not operative for placing orders. Did not give me any more details by phone and ask me to send them an email. And so I did. Now awaiting response.

Had a couple of MTM jackets made by Mears last year and was quite happy with the result for £340. Hope they keep offering the service.

Let's see.
No answer from them to the email.
Sorry, but I'm uncertain whether you're referring to Mears or Bookster?

But in either case, it doesn't sound as if this firm is prepared to do business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.