Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents,

I'm very close to buying a Bookster hacking jacket in Nevis tweed. I'm pretty much set on doing a single vent, velvet collar, and horn buttons. What I'm having trouble with is deciding two buttons or three, and tab on the collar or not.

I'm not a tall guy (5'7"), and am really having trouble deciding whether two or three buttons looks better. I have nice jackets in each style. When doing a tweed jacket, what would your opinions be in regards to 2B or 3B? And if 2B would you do the collar tab?

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi gents,

I'm very close to buying a Bookster hacking jacket in Nevis tweed. I'm pretty much set on doing a single vent, velvet collar, and horn buttons. What I'm having trouble with is deciding two buttons or three, and tab on the collar or not.

I'm not a tall guy (5'7"), and am really having trouble deciding whether two or three buttons looks better. I have nice jackets in each style. When doing a tweed jacket, what would your opinions be in regards to 2B or 3B? And if 2B would you do the collar tab?
At the prices offered by Bookster, I would get both...one in Nevis and one in a herringbone.

Buzz

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hi gents,

I think either 2 or 3 buttons should work well for you, and should only be determined by your stylistic preference. If you are of normal build and proportion, you'll be fine with either. If you were a bit heavy set, a two button can sometime be a bit more flattering. I also tend to prefer it for men with a longer than average torso compared to their legs.

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Ignore at your peril: Originally being functional, not fashional (make em up as aye go along) raiment, a tweed hacking jacket would button high for protection against chili environs whilst equinally perambulating the Hackshire dales. Tis the reason for the storm tab you contemplate. A two button closure coupled with a storm tab would be sartorially oxymoronic. Seasoned hackers would scoff and snicker.

'course if your hackin's confined to the occultic mysteries of the magic box you currently frown into, practical configuration matters not.

I like taffy.

· Registered
5,152 Posts
With a throatlatch you need 3 buttons. But, @ 5' 7" of more concern is your build and facial shape. The wider spread may either compliment or confuse your look.
All I know, is my late Hackney Pony Sandman's Spirit of '76
once looked through his show blinders at my four in hand tie, not of the silks his line had worn since England and snorted.
I wished I had a throatlatch that day to hide my shame.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I do think I'd only take the tab if I did a 3 button. The usual "body type" dressing is tough for me, as I'm both athletic, skinny, and not that tall! For my height and weight, I have very broad shoulders and a relatively thick neck. For instance, my over-arm measurement is 46", my neck is 15.75", but most pants only fit my waist in a size 30 or 29. My chest measurement is 37.5". I have somewhat of a long face.

Here's a shameless photo of me with my daughter and dog, to give you a general idea:

· Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I do think I'd only take the tab if I did a 3 button. The usual "body type" dressing is tough for me, as I'm both athletic, skinny, and not that tall! For my height and weight, I have very broad shoulders and a relatively thick neck. For instance, my over-arm measurement is 46", my neck is 15.75", but most pants only fit my waist in a size 30 or 29. My chest measurement is 37.5". I have somewhat of a long face.

Here's a shameless photo of me with my daughter and dog, to give you a general idea:
Handsome photo, your dog is beautiful. Do you have any jackets in two or three button that you could compare to see what suits you best? if not go to a good shop and try a few on to see which you prefer. I'd be more inclined towards a thee button for a hacking jacket, but as has already been said it comes down to personal taste and what suits you.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

You have a lovely young lady, and a handsome pup!

From what I can see, I think Bookster's cut should be flattering assuming it is properly fitted. If I remember the order form correctly, they ask for detailed measurements, and that should do the trick.

I don't think any of the features you are considering will make the jacket any more or less flattering, but are rather stylistic preferences, any of which should look good. Of course, you've been given some excellent information from other posters regarding traditions for the garments you're considering, and it would be good to consider them, but I think that you're preferences within the range you've described deserve equal weight. For my opinion, I'd suggest side vents rather than a center back vent, but if you feel otherwise, that should look good too.

· Registered
212 Posts
You have a lovely young lady, and a handsome pup!

From what I can see, I think Bookster's cut should be flattering assuming it is properly fitted. If I remember the order form correctly, they ask for detailed measurements, and that should do the trick.

I don't think any of the features you are considering will make the jacket any more or less flattering, but are rather stylistic preferences, any of which should look good. Of course, you've been given some excellent information from other posters regarding traditions for the garments you're considering, and it would be good to consider them, but I think that you're preferences within the range you've described deserve equal weight. For my opinion, I'd suggest side vents rather than a center back vent, but if you feel otherwise, that should look good too.
So much wisdom flowing on this thread, just 3 comments/opinions from me
Twin vents are particularly suitable for the likes of me with a :eek:shapely rear, single vent can look 'ducklike' on me, so if you are slim all round as it were, personal preference is your only consideration.
Velvet collar, I love em, but I do not feel comfortable wearing one for all occasions, you may find that too , so it may limit your use of the jacket, which would be a shame , tweed jackets are so versatile these days, though we supply plenty of people that use them for their original purpose, they completely transcend that.
Collar tab/throat latch, ....it buttons back out of sight, so why not, most people that specify it never make practical use of it, they just like the look, and can hide it whenever they wish.
Hope this helps, Peter

· Registered
212 Posts
I wonder if Bookster could do a 3/2 roll?
Not at the moment for our 'hacking jacket'. We already have to cope with the existing options and variations we offer, which is not simple. Apart from that we are working on 2 jacket prototypes, one for Ask Andy members (This will have a 3/2 roll) and another for Fedora Lounge,they have taken far longer than we would have liked and are very high priority. We also have some other new 'models' in the pipeline we want to introduce very soon, and by popular demand our 'Summer Collection' to take account of the climate many of our customers have to contend with.

· Registered
282 Posts
I just received my Bookster jacket. I wish I had added 2" to chest. I added only 1", and the jacket fits snug. Also, I ordered with tab, and tailor had a heck of a time shortening and raising the collar, because he had to allow for tab to latch. I'm very picky about collar. Otherwise, it's a great jacket and very , very heavy. I'm from the South and don't need to wear an overcoat with this thick material.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I just received my Bookster jacket. I wish I had added 2" to chest. I added only 1", and the jacket fits snug. Also, I ordered with tab, and tailor had a heck of a time shortening and raising the collar, because he had to allow for tab to latch. I'm very picky about collar. Otherwise, it's a great jacket and very , very heavy. I'm from the South and don't need to wear an overcoat with this thick material.
My experience with Bookster is that they will do for you exactly what you request...my small requests have all turned out to be wonderful and befitting.

One should remember that Bookster is selling proper tweed which was developed for use in a chilly climate with little to no central heating. This the Scotts amongst us will confirm. Check the weights on the cloth selection page and realize that 500 grams per square meter produces a fairly heavy garment suitable for scoping deer on the moors. Here in New England, my three piece Bookster tweed suit in a 500 gram weight is perfect for outdoor wear well through November.

Buzz

· Registered
190 Posts
Times two

My experience with Bookster is that they will do for you exactly what you request...my small requests have all turned out to be wonderful and befitting.

One should remember that Bookster is selling proper tweed which was developed for use in a chilly climate with little to no central heating. This the Scotts amongst us will confirm. Check the weights on the cloth selection page and realize that 500 grams per square meter produces a fairly heavy garment suitable for scoping deer on the moors. Here in New England, my three piece Bookster tweed suit in a 500 gram weight is perfect for outdoor wear well through November.

Buzz
Down here in Virginia, it was frickin' freezin' today with constant gusts out of the northwest at 30 mph and about 38 for a high. My 500-grams Doon tweed three-piecer felt WONDERFUL, along with a lined loden coat whenever I had to go outside. The 560-gram Leven suit I wore earlier in the week is a totally different feel and has a more refined look. You might want to ask Peter to send some swatches so you can get a hand -- literally -- on the stuff that coat would be made from. Now, I'm just waiting waiting for my 650-gram Barra tweed suit to come around Christmas time!

Oh, here's a hand grams converter site I use a lot:
https://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/sce/ozgmconv.html

Buy with confidence from Peter and Michele; they are absolutely the best.

· Registered
2,730 Posts
Not at the moment for our 'hacking jacket'. We already have to cope with the existing options and variations we offer, which is not simple. Apart from that we are working on 2 jacket prototypes, one for Ask Andy members (This will have a 3/2 roll) and another for Fedora Lounge,they have taken far longer than we would have liked and are very high priority. We also have some other new 'models' in the pipeline we want to introduce very soon, and by popular demand our 'Summer Collection' to take account of the climate many of our customers have to contend with.
When will we be able to order basic jackets in 3/2? I would order this week if you could it.

· Registered
212 Posts
When will we be able to order basic jackets in 3/2? I would order this week if you could it.
I have noted the importance of this request, and explained earlier why we can't just drop it in as an option right now, naturally it is our busiest time of year anyway , on top of this, as the pound gradually becomes worthless,its demise does not go unnoticed with customers old and new,resulting in even stronger demand. When I also explained to a US customer that we deduct 15% VAT for exports too, he almost dropped the phone. Please be patient, we will get around to it.

· Registered
212 Posts
I have tried to contact this member direct to see if we can help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.