Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the risk of appearing "boar-ing" (ahem) I am seeking thoughts on classic boar skin gloves. I have seen them referenced in various gentlemen's books, and have only found one retailer for them (Ben Silver for $275, see attached link).

Anyone know of other possible sources to obtain them and what is the overall thought on these gloves?

https://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=272&show=278&display=4934&group=1

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jimbob, have you seen such gloves sold anywhere else? As for these offered by Ben Silver, I stumbled across them and really like the look. I suppose I was looking for a cheaper option (Ben Silver is expensive) but I cannot find them anywhere else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the good information...I now have some other avenues to investigate. Tell me, when would you wear such gloves? Any outdoor country event type setting? Bad weather? With a Barbour Beaufort?:icon_smile:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out Chester Jefferies in London they make gloves to order and the prices are pretty good; H. Herzfeld in NYC; Brooks Brothers, main store in NYC; Nordstrum. You can do the London one on line and call the others
Thanks Penang! Just spent the past half hour looking at those various sites. Thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks all for the good information...I now have some other avenues to investigate. Tell me, when would you wear such gloves? Any outdoor country event type setting? Bad weather? With a Barbour Beaufort?:icon_smile:
With a DB camel hair overcoat. Also when wearing a grey suit and a brown fedora. Plus you could always use them to challenge some one to a duel.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
1)do an eBay search for peccary

2)follow the link to gloves

3)look for a German seller with extensive offerings @ about 1/2 retail (These folks at one time ages ago made peccary driving gloves for Paul Stuart. Probably also regular gloves. May still do. I have not checked their prices recently and the Euro exchange rate may have drastically affected the US$ price.)

What's often called "boar" gloves in England is actually peccary (also called javelina) www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/peccary

Although found in the SW U.S. and Mexico, I think most of the glove and shoe peccary now originates in Peru. Perhaps there are Peruvian sellers of peccary gloves on eBay.

Or you can pay $150+++

·
Registered
410 Posts
1)do an eBay search for peccary

2)follow the link to gloves

3)look for a German seller with extensive offerings @ about 1/2 retail (These folks at one time ages ago made peccary driving gloves for Paul Stuart. Probably also regular gloves. May still do. I have not checked their prices recently and the Euro exchange rate may have drastically affected the US$ price.)

What's often called "boar" gloves in England is actually peccary (also called javelina) www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/peccary

Although found in the SW U.S. and Mexico, I think most of the glove and shoe peccary now originates in Peru. Perhaps there are Peruvian sellers of peccary gloves on eBay.

Or you can pay $150+++
I'm a fan of peccary/hog skin gloves. I have the Ben Silver version noted above. They are very nice gloves, but they are sueded, not the tobacco-colored, wrinkley-but-smooth classic. Peccary has typically been priced toward the high end of the men's scale, particularly considering they are often unlined. As mentioned above, the primary source of skins is South America. While England used to make most of the gloves, I, too, have noticed an influx of gloves made in South America. I've had no "first hand" experience with them. The peccary market was disrupted in the early 1980's by the British-Argentine conflict in the Falkland Islands, at the time the main source of skins. After several years of limited availability, hog skin re-entered the market at radically increased prices. More than ever, hog skin gloves, like tan Edward Green shoes or a sable-colored James Lock trilby, have become the mark of discreetly snobby Anglo taste.

An example of the classic.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Not usually found in black. I sold these on eBay several years ago. Hermes or some such probably trick up something more luxurious in a sporting glove, but I don't see how it could be much improved upon. Predominantly hand sewn with a chamois lining. A bit elongated. England.

(A very, very few peccary and dove grey suede gloves used to turn up in Maxx/Marshalls fall glove assortment priced from $15 to $40 but I haven't espied any locally for several years. Might be worth a glance at yours in mid October(?).)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.