Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to participate in "mock" interviews at a well know prestigious university. The interview is for pre-med students. The purpose of the mock interviews is to help prepare these students for their potential real interviews when applying to medical/dental/professional schools.

These interviews are taking place during parent weekend at the university my son attends (he is not pre-med). When I asked if I should wear a suit for the mock interview, the Dean said "absolutely not" and that all of the doctors dressed "business casual", usually wearing a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, etc.

Remember, following the interviews, it is parent weekend so there are a lot of activities so I'd like to be comfortable.

I was planning on wearing a pair of flat front/no cuff fine twill khakis (well pressed/fitted, not the sloppy type), with a pair of nice loafers, a white or blue crisp button down with open collar and a blue blazer.

Although I rarely ever wear a blazer with open collar, I thought that this look may be appropriate for the college campus as well as being "business casual". Additionally, following the interviews I can simply remove the blazer and be comfortable and not overdressed.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. The campus is slightly "trad/preppy" and my dress style usually ranges the full spectrum. But for this event, I thought I'd lean a little "trad".

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
From the dress I've seen doctors wear ....

it won't matter what you wear in a mock situation. Your description of what you'll wear will be several steps up from what my doctor wears: faded polo (summer), faded flannel shirt (winter), dockers, dirty athletic shoes.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have been asked to participate in "mock" interviews at a well know prestigious university. The interview is for pre-med students. The purpose of the mock interviews is to help prepare these students for their potential real interviews when applying to medical/dental/professional schools.

These interviews are taking place during parent weekend at the university my son attends (he is not pre-med). When I asked if I should wear a suit for the mock interview, the Dean said "absolutely not" and that all of the doctors dressed "business casual", usually wearing a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, etc.

Remember, following the interviews, it is parent weekend so there are a lot of activities so I'd like to be comfortable.

I was planning on wearing a pair of flat front/no cuff fine twill khakis (well pressed/fitted, not the sloppy type), with a pair of nice loafers, a white or blue crisp button down with open collar and a blue blazer.

Although I rarely ever wear a blazer with open collar, I thought that this look may be appropriate for the college campus as well as being "business casual". Additionally, following the interviews I can simply remove the blazer and be comfortable and not overdressed.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. The campus is slightly "trad/preppy" and my dress style usually ranges the full spectrum. But for this event, I thought I'd lean a little "trad".

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps a Beer Jacket might be more in keeping! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, your intention sounds like a very fine choice. (And I won't even mention how much I prefer pleated khakis!)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Pleated khakis simply don't fit me well and make me look "odd" and boxy.

I've been told many times by my wife that I look much better and slimmer (though I'm in pretty good shape) in non-pleated khakis. Therefore, all my khakis are non-pleated and non-cuffed because that simply works for me.

Another member recommended a tweed sport coat, but presently it's much too warm for a tweed coat, and tweed really isn't my style. But thanks for the recommendation.

Due to the fact that it's an interview at a college, I was initially going to wear a toga!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sure what you're going to be wearing is going to be ok. If he said khakis and a polo then you'll be a little better dressed and that's not always a bad thing. And if it seems off you can just take off the jacket like you said.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Blue blazer + khakis is perfectly fine attire for campus. I wear such an outfit at least once a week to break up the monotony of suits. (I'm a professor, by the way.) I wouldn't skip on the tie or the pocket square, however. I often see students in blazers and khakis (it's a trad campus), and they rarely if ever wear ties and never wear pocket squares. So that's how I differentiate myself from them. Students also tend to overlook their shoes, so stand out there as well.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pantheos (and everyone else),

Thanks for your comments. I notice you state that you're a professor and you are located in Atlanta. My daughter is a senior at Emory University in Atlanta, though I doubt that's where you teach since it's not really a "trad" campus.

It's a beautiful school with a great medical and law school. Emory has become an amazingly difficult school to gain acceptance to over the past few years, and is consistently ranked in the nation's top 15-20 schools according to U.S. New & World Report.

All I know is that it's costing me $50 grand a year!

Getting back on topic.....the interviews are over the weekend, so I'm going to skip the tie, since I was told it was business casual and most of the other docs similar wear polo shirts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.