Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I need a new blazer, and with all of the post-Christmas sales coming up soon, am going to bite the bullet and buy one. I was looking at the current model Brooks Bros. 1818 sack blazer, which is nice, and will be on sale for roughly 320 on 12/26.

I've seen the Southwick Douglas on Eljo's site for 495, but am not sure if it's the same as the BB 1818 model (which I assume is also made by Southwick). I'm guessing not, but am not sure I can justify the 170 difference

Others on the site have lauded the O'Connells blazer, which sells for around 400.

J Press is also an option, though I'm unfamiliar with the look and fit (aside from what I can see on the small photos on their website).

I sure would appreciate some opinions and thoughts! Merry Christmas!

· Registered
580 Posts
Hey guys - I need a new blazer, and with all of the post-Christmas sales coming up soon, am going to bite the bullet and buy one. I was looking at the current model Brooks Bros. 1818 sack blazer, which is nice, and will be on sale for roughly 320 on 12/26.

I've seen the Southwick Douglas on Eljo's site for 495, but am not sure if it's the same as the BB 1818 model (which I assume is also made by Southwick). I'm guessing not, but am not sure I can justify the 170 difference

Others on the site have lauded the O'Connells blazer, which sells for around 400.

J Press is also an option, though I'm unfamiliar with the look and fit (aside from what I can see on the small photos on their website).

I sure would appreciate some opinions and thoughts! Merry Christmas!
I have a Press blazer purchased back in June which looks and feels great. The BB sack is also nice - I tried it on in the store though haven't work it regularly. No experience with O'Connell's.

· Registered
195 Posts
If you can find the BB 1818 Sack Blazer for that price, I'd go for it. I have a J. Press blazer which I love, but it's a bit older. Southwick made. I've heard that the Canadian Made ones have the sack, but not the natural shoulder going for them.

O'Connell's is a great store but I've never seen their suit product in person. If you have to do O'Connell's by mail, and can get to a BB/Press Store, I'd definitely go for the BB/Press, almost at any price.

· Registered
136 Posts
I own two BB 1818 blazers, and I am very pleased with both of them. I believe the Southwick Douglas fit is more boxy than the fit of the 1818 blazer.

I like the patch pockets on the 1818 blazer, and I have found the fit to be quite trim compared to blazers from J. Press.

jeph

· Registered
1,281 Posts
It is hard to beat the sale price of the Brooks 1818 blazer. Plus, it's a very good navy blazer (as are the Press, O'Connell's and Eljo blazers). However, $320 is a great price.

FWIW, I have an 1818 and Press blazer and like them both very much.

Merry Christmas!

· Registered
2,500 Posts
Here's a crazy option - what about ordering all of the blazers you are considering and then picking the one that fits you best? With all the low prices, you'll eat up some of the discounts in the cost of returning 3 jackets ($50 - $60?), but you'll have the best fitting blazer and never worry about not having purchased the best one for you. Also, if you have a nearby BB, you can return that one postage free.

· Registered
63 Posts
I have both the Southwick Douglas and the BB 1818 Sack and I believe they are the same basic jacket. The BB is lighter weight strech fabric while the instock Douglas has a somewhat nicer (to me) fabric. The main difference you will notice is the patch & flap pockets on the BB. Specialty store prices for the Douglas vary from store to store...usually 575 around here. I would get the BB at the sale price.

Greg

· Registered
2,186 Posts
I love my BB 1818 sack blazer. It's got patch pockets (unlike the jacket now pictured on the BB website), and relatively natural shoulders.

I recently tried on the Canadian made Press blazers (one flannel, one hopsack, and one fine wool) and found the shoulders too padded, and the arm holes too large for my taste.

I've never tried a Southwick Douglas or an O'Connell's, but would love to hear what you think should you give them a whirl. Keep us posted on your adventures.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
From their website:

Three-Button Sack 1818 Blazer

Updated design tailored in premium natural stretch wool by Loro Piana®. 3-button sack. Undarted and fuller through the chest. Narrower shoulders and lapels. Superfine and lightweight. Double besom flap patch pockets. Back center vent. Dry clean. Made in the USA.

The picture doesn't show it but the description still does.

I'm looking at their Country Club blazer if it goes on sale. If not, then the 2 buttoned 1818 model. Wore out my old one in 3 years from heavy travel and dry cleanings.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys - just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting the Brooks Bros. 1818 Madison sack blazer (on sale for around 320). I absolutely love it...wearing it today. Fills a hole in my trad wardrobe. Thanks again for all of your advice.

· Registered
2,186 Posts
I've worn mine every day this week, simply because I dig it.

Hey guys - just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting the Brooks Bros. 1818 Madison sack blazer (on sale for around 320). I absolutely love it...wearing it today. Fills a hole in my trad wardrobe. Thanks again for all of your advice.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
O'Connell's Navy blazer got a mention earlier. Can anybody compare and contrast the BB, Southwick and O'Connell? The O'C is $350. Seems like the best value is BB on sale (at $320!), then the O'C, and then Southwick. Pros and Cons?

· Registered
2,186 Posts
^ I'm with whoever suggested buying all three or four blazers in question, and seeing for yourself, returning the ones you don't like and keeping the ones you do.

I'm not a fan of the Press blazers currently on offer. Big arm holes, lotsa shoulder. I've never tried O'Connell's or Southwick -- although the BB salesman told me that the current 1818 sack (which I own and like very much) is made by Southwick. (I do wish the color were more "navy" and less "midnight", but it's not a big deal.)

But everyone has a different story, and the products aren't always the same year to year. So....see for youself!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.