Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to get a black watch tartan or close to the authentic tartan button down shirt? JAB has a tan background look alike but not the real thing that goes with a black knit tie and blazer.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Orvis had one included in their cyber-Tent sale, a week ago, but I believe they sold out. However, it might be worth a call to there toll free number, to find out if some are still floating around out in their retail store inventories. I've gotten lucky a few times in those sorts of situations.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd think that Blackwatch is too dark to wear with a black tie and blazer unless you want to look like an undertaker on holiday. A Gordon plaid, which has some white and yellow along with the navy and green, would be better. Mercer and Sons has one and a couple other tartans too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a black watch tartan or close to the authentic tartan button down shirt? JAB has a tan background look alike but not the real thing that goes with a black knit tie and blazer.
I wouldn't do it. Stick with a pattern with a light ground like a tattersall for that look.

I've never thought tartan sport shirts appropriate for a necktie. OK for a casual open-necked outfit with a blazer or tweed jacket, though.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Stick with a pattern with a light ground like a tattersall for that look.

I've never thought tartan sport shirts appropriate for a necktie. OK for a casual open-necked outfit with a blazer or tweed jacket, though.

Scott
I once found it to be a flattering look for me, but as I accelerate towards senility, perhaps less so. But I think I'd go with a navy knit tie. (Used to have a nice cashmere version, but the moths got it. Strange, gourmet moths, didn't disturb anything else!)

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
I don't own any knit ties, nor any mini-check blazer shirts but I want to be on record favoring the pairing with neatly pressed chinos... a proper Casual Friday, if you believe in those sort of things.

*pressed chinos, not casual Fridays.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Try Mercer. I think they have it. If not Andover Shop will. In the past I've had one in flannel, Vyella, broadcloth, seersucker and even madras. Alas, they've gone the way of all things but worn with the correct shade of khakis or cords, it always looked good. Toyed with pairing them with ties but could never pull it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.