Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Some waistcoats are made to match the body fabric and others to match the lapel facing. If your lapel facings are black, a black silk waistcoat would work. If your facings are midnight blue, you'd probably need a waistcoat custom made. You're planning to get a low-cut 3-button with lapels, right?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
From what I've read, it's very, very odd (some would say incorrect) for a midnight blue tuxedo to have anything else but black silk facings. Thus, Matt, I believe you are correct to say the silk waistcoat should match the color of the facings (of the dinner jacket), and that means it should be black. If the waistcoat is wool, then it must match the color of the dinner jacket: midnight blue.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I've always been under the impression that the tuxedo vest should match the jacket lapels, unless of course one is attending a high school prom.:icon_smile_big: Whether this is a "rule" or not, I don't know; but I do know that it looks better to me when the vest and lapels match.

Cruiser

·
Banned
79 Posts
From what I've read, it's very, very odd (some would say incorrect) for a midnight blue tuxedo to have anything else but black silk facings. Thus, Matt, I believe you are correct to say the silk waistcoat should match the color of the facings (of the dinner jacket), and that means it should be black. If the waistcoat is wool, then it must match the color of the dinner jacket: midnight blue.
According to Henry Poole's order book for April 1865, the first prototype DJ
was blue with blue silk collar and cuffs - and that was made for a Prince of Wales. Court dress books from the Lord Chamberlain's often presecribed that if a blue evening coat Were Worn as alternative Court dress it should have black facings and black velvet collar. The Duke of Windsor's evening coat in the Met Museum in NY is midnight blue With black facings. But these colour prescriptions do not to apply to DJs.
NJS

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Oh, dear.

black grosgrain lapels
I've paid hell to get a grosgrain vest to match some DJs I have with grosgrain facing. JAB had one on their website, but had already discontinued it by the time I found it. Haven't had any luck since.

Good luck to you, though, and let me know where you find one, if you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.