Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to a black tie optional wedding. That's what invite says.

I think the groom and groomsman are wearing black tuxedos. All of the groomsman will be wearing a black bowtie and the groom will be wearing a white bowtie.

I have a black tuxedo and was planning on wearing a black bow tie with white pocket square.

What do you do so that you are not confused with the groom and groomsman? A different texture bowtie?

And to make matters worse (sort of) is that not many other guests will be wearing tuxedo attire.

What's the etiquette here?

· Registered
2,202 Posts
Other than the wedding party, there was nobody wearing BT at the past few BTO weddings I attended - and these were weddings where a fair number of guests likely had black tie rigs of their own. A suit is fine, but it's certainly your choice. Even in a suit, you'll probably be better dressed than the majority of guests. Of course YMMV.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Wear a regular dark suit. Navy or grey.

Even if the invitation says BTO, if there are going to be a lot of guests who are not wearing black tie, you want to fit in. You are neither part of the wedding party or the groom, and the day is not about you.

It is likely that even if you own a perfect formal/semi-formal rig, this is not the time. Wait for a time where you are the center of attention.

C

· Registered
236 Posts
If you’d feel uncomfortable being one of the few guests in formalwear then wear a nice suit as per precious posters’ advice. But I disagree that wearing something within the stated dress code would be attention-seeking as Canadian implied.

If you choose to wear a tuxedo, you can avoid being confused with the bridal party by sitting in your seat instead of standing up at the front of the ceremony. Don’t wear a boutonnière if you’re really concerned.

From what I’ve seen/read/heard, the “black tie optional” dress code was made up as a way for hosts to ask guests to wear their fanciest clothes without having to throw a truly black tie event. And/or to offer a loophole to guests who don’t wish to buy or rent formalwear.

· Registered
4,370 Posts
If you'd feel uncomfortable being one of the few guests in formalwear then wear a nice suit as per precious posters' advice. But I disagree that wearing something within the stated dress code would be attention-seeking as Canadian implied.

If you choose to wear a tuxedo, you can avoid being confused with the bridal party by sitting in your seat instead of standing up at the front of the ceremony. Don't wear a boutonnière if you're really concerned.

From what I've seen/read/heard, the "black tie optional" dress code was made up as a way for hosts to ask guests to wear their fanciest clothes without having to throw a truly black tie event. And/or to offer a loophole to guests who don't wish to buy or rent formalwear.
This.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.