Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this combination?

Background info: Banquet/awards ceremony; invitation states "business attire".

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Well, that is business attire - and in the USA that is a very acceptable combination. So as far as matching shoes to the suit - it's OK ...

I would just tone it down - still it's a banquet, not a business meeting. You can get a "business attire" look without pinstripes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Most people will never notice your shoes at an award ceremony. In the US, its generally accepted, though some on this forum will not accept it. I'd agree the the previous comment about toning down the suit if possible.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Tassel-less

Sorry, but I just can't get into tasseled loafers. I think attaching non-functional tassles seems to me to be an affectation.

It seems to me that they are way too casual for an awards banquet where you intend to wear a pretty high-end business style of suit. I disagree that no one will notice your shoes. If there is only one Forum member there, your shoes will be noticed if you cross paths. Heaven forbid that Forum member is your boss!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If the event is rather more formal, I would swap the loafers for cap toe bals. If the event is more casual, I would do a previously recommended and tone down the suit. Although the combination you mentioned sounds fine in general.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The do itself is being given by an arts-oriented but rather stuffy foundation ... I think this combination will strike the right balance.

I wonder how it would work for other, less strictly-defined situations.

I'm my own boss, so even though I'm an AAAC member & will be at the event, it'll be OK ... no wait, what if I see myself in a mirror ... :icon_smile_big:

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I think attaching non-functional tassles seems to me to be an affectation.
Historically tassels, be they on shoes or window drapes, have primarily been ornamental rather than functional. How do you feel about all of the other parts of clothing that are not functional and serve only ornamental purposes? The neck tie comes to mind. Or perhaps the pocket square, unless of course you actually use yours to blow your nose. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
non-functional tassles seems to me to be an affectation.

It seems to me that they are way too casual for an awards banquet
They're not - in many cases at least - exactly non-functional. I haven't looked at this pair for a while, but the tassels are theoretically the ends of a leather lace that encircles the top of the shoe (where it surrounds the ankle, there's probably a word for that) and could (theoretically) be adjusted for fit. Sometimes the shoe really is made that way, other times the tassels are just stuck on the front.

I've always perceived, for what it's worth, tassel loafers as more formal than non-tassel, at least as in, tassel loafers: could be worn with a suit; penny loafers: not with a suit, noway nohow.

·
Site Creator
11,760 Posts
Just for fun

Some shoe history from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:
Tassel Loafers -- In 1948, debonair character actor, Paul Lukas, ("The Lady Vanishes" and "Watch on the Rhine") returned from Europe with a new pair of oxfords that had little tassels at the ends of the laces. Lukas took his shoes to New York shoemakers Farkas & Kovacs and asked them to make something similar. They complied; he liked the style but not the fit.

He then, cleverly, took one of the pair of shoes to Lefcourt in New York, and the other to Morris Boot Makers in Beverly Hills, and asked them each to develop a better version. Both shoemakers curiously sent them on to Alden, a major shoe manufacturing company. President Arthur Tarlow Sr. produced a new prototype, which incorporated topside lacing and tassels in a slip-on. Alden incorporated the new style in their 1950 production line, and by 1952 it was a top seller. In 1957, Brooks Brothers begin selling the shoe style.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Unless one of the glamour industries, I do not recommend loafers with a suit.
Agreed.

Do you have lace-ups? If so, they are most appropriate. I see a lot of doctors wear slip-ons with suits; however, this is usually at out of town conferences and also during the day, which I deem forgiveable.

If you are going to make the effort to wear a suit, then go all the way and wear lace-ups. You never have to apologize for being appropriately dressed.

Are you going to wear a white shirt if this function is after 6PM?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.