Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to hear others' opinions on whether this is an acceptable look. I was thinking of wearing my black Alden tassel loafers with chinos, an OCBD and navy blazer to an upcoming event. However, I am not entirely comfortable with the thought of black shoes and tan/khaki chinos.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
I hate, hate, hate the look of black shoes with khakis. Of course, if you want to wear white athletic socks with them, you'll fit "that look."

Aesthetically, I put guys who wear black shoes with khakis (Cruiser?) in the same category as guys with jacket sleeves down to their knuckles, trousers that are 6" too long, and Jerry Garcia ties.

*Not meant to be mean-spirited. Just my opinion.

· Registered
198 Posts
I hate, hate, hate the look of black shoes with khakis. Of course, if you want to wear white athletic socks with them, you'll fit "that look."

Aesthetically, I put guys who wear black shoes with khakis (Cruiser?) in the same category as guys with jacket sleeves down to their knuckles, trousers that are 6" too long, and Jerry Garcia ties.

*Not meant to be mean-spirited. Just my opinion.
Well spoken. I concur.

· Registered
92 Posts
I'm far from the best dressed guy around, but I would balk at wearing black shoes with light colored pants.

Oddly enough, I would be OK wearing dark brown shoes with any color pant but black, but I would only wear black shoes with grey or black pants (although I avoid black pants whenever possible). This is just personal taste, and the fashion police might arrest me for it, I really have no idea.

· Registered
3,254 Posts
Balck shoes with khaki pants are not for me. Some people (military) manage to pull it off, but not with tassel loafers.

So my answer is black blucher with chinos = maybe, black tassel loafer with chinos = no.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Thanks for the feedback so far. Some interesting (rather strong) opinions, so far. I'd be interested to hear dissenting opinions. But, based on the feedback so far, my initial gut instinct on this has been confirmed.

For the record, black Alden tassels are the only pair of black shoes that I regularly wear and I wear them only with charcoal gray (and occasionally navy) suits.

· Registered
12,282 Posts
I'm interested to hear others' opinions on whether this is an acceptable look. I was thinking of wearing my black Alden tassel loafers with chinos, an OCBD and navy blazer to an upcoming event. However, I am not entirely comfortable with the thought of black shoes and tan/khaki chinos.
Ron,
If it gives you any comfort, I do wear black shell LHS, tassels and PTB with the attire that you are considering to wear to an upcoming event

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Ron,
If it gives you any comfort, I do wear black shell LHS, tassels and PTB with the attire that you are considering to wear to an upcoming event
Likewise, I wore black shell bluchers with khakis in the Army--back when there were still tan uniforms in that branch of the service...My civilian sensitivities call out for burgundy/dark tan/brown shoes with the trousers in question, however.;)

hbs

· Registered
84 Posts
I'm OK with black footwear with khakis, light or darker. My preference is only wingtips or Weejun-style penny loafers, though, because I'm not a great fan of tassel loafers under the best of circumstances. Plain, military-style, black oxfords would look wrong to me with khakis unless you're in uniform. Cap-toe oxfords would be way too formal, IMO. Different strokes, I guess.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Black just doesn't look good. Tassels especially don't look good. I would agree that Black shell LHS is better but cordovan or antique chestnut or tan loafers or bluchers would look so much better.

Black says...." I don't have any other shoes to wear so forgive me but I have to wear these, please don't stare too much"

· Registered
7,502 Posts
AAAAAGGHHH..black shoes with chinos...god preserve us.

As each day goes by I find more and more that divides the US from Europe on the issue of black shoes.
This seems to beo ne area where the US and Europe are galaxies apart.
Yesterday I read of a member here in the US apologising for wearing black shoes with trews.
If you wore anything but black with trews in the UK you'd be breaking code.

Now some here are advocating black shoes with chinos....surely the end of the world is nigh :icon_smile_wink:

For the record over here all beige, cream, khaki coloured trousers get called chinos. So chinos are light here.

If they're any other colour, blue or black or brown they just get called trousers, even if they are technically chinos.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of snarky, weird and borderline hostile comments in some of these threads lately. At any rate, thanks to all of you who have responded (or most of you anyway).

Mac - FWIW, it does give me comfort that you wear black shell LHS and tassels with the suggested attire. Thanks for your reply.

That said, as I mentioned in my original post, I had some reservations about wearing black shoes with khakis/chinos. Frankly, what led me to even think of doing this is the fact that I recently saw a gentleman at an out of town conference dressed in the following: cuffed khakis, 3/2 sack navy blazer with patch pockets, blue OCBD, navy and red bow tie, black belt with engine-turned silver buckle and black tassel loafers (not Alden, possibly AE). He was an attorney from NYC, and looked more put-together -- in a pure Trad/classic preppy sense -- than most of what I see in the WAYWT thread or on the street here in town. I agree with the consensus opinion, however, that cordovan shoes and chinos/khakis are a better combo.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
A lot of snarky, weird and borderline hostile comments in some of these threads lately. At any rate, thanks to all of you who have responded (or most of you anyway).

Mac - FWIW, it does give me comfort that you wear black shell LHS and tassels with the suggested attire. Thanks for your reply.

That said, as I mentioned in my original post, I had some reservations about wearing black shoes with khakis/chinos. Frankly, what led me to even think of doing this is the fact that I recently saw a gentleman at an out of town conference dressed in the following: cuffed khakis, 3/2 sack navy blazer with patch pockets, blue OCBD, navy and red bow tie, black belt with engine-turned silver buckle and black tassel loafers (not Alden, possibly AE). He was an attorney from NYC, and looked more put-together -- in a pure Trad/classic preppy sense -- than most of what I see in the WAYWT thread or on the street here in town. I agree with the consensus opinion, however, that cordovan shoes and chinos/khakis are a better combo.
I would agree with you if I saw this Gentleman as well. I prefer cordovan or some lighter brown shoe. But if he likes to wear black tasseled loafers with his chinos and he looks the part then by all means go with what feels good and never mind what others think.

· Registered
126 Posts
Never thought that shoe color was too critical with a pair of khakis, even if paired with a blazer. Black loafers or tassels is not offensive to my taste (or lack thereof as the case may be). Wingtips would be something else.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.