Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I am curious, How many feel a black suit is still a wearable business suit?

And if so,

How do you feel about pairing a black suit with brown shoes?

(For reference, black suit is a well tailored, double vent, flat front pants)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I see them, especially among the younger guys. They generally look fine, but you have to make sure the whole ensemble doesn't look mafioso.

Brown shoes with a black suit is probably a bad idea. It might look ok, but people might think you don't know the "rules".

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
As for the brown shoe question, I don't think it would look good at all.

As for the black suit itself, I probably wouldn't wear it during the daytime which would essentially exclude business wear. I have a black suit but it's only worn socially at night and always without a tie. In fact, I seldom wear both pieces together. I sometimes wear the jacket with jeans, and I wear the pants with a sport coat or leather jacket.

Cruiser

·
Registered
27,615 Posts
First, I am curious, How many feel a black suit is still a wearable business suit?

And if so,

I don't like black suits for wear during the day, and feel they are at their best as evening wear.

And while I love brown shoes, and enjoy them with charcoal suits, I would never wear them with a black suit.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It doesn't look great but it doesn't look bad on younger people for business (not formal). I would avoid the brown shoes for sure, and stick with black or at worse, a burgundy or dark ox blood?

·
Registered
861 Posts

And if so,

You should never wear a black suit unless it's evening wear. You should never wear brown shoes with a black suit. HOWEVER, I have done it.... impeccably. My black suit, however, had a hint of tan/gold striping in its weave.

Find a rule and break it. The risk is that you will either be the man of year or the loser of the minute.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That's the one color (Black) that doesn't work with brown shoes. Black or Cordovan color only.

And I don't think black is business appropriate (but then I'm old school!). :icon_smile:
Since I was a noob when I arrived here, I will defer to your wisdom. However, does "black suit," deserve a definition? What is a black suit? The one to which I refer was a herringbone weave with a slight tan/brown stripe in it. Is that "black" by definition? Are we talking about solid black, or what might be called "black dominant?"

·
Registered
935 Posts
Since I was a noob when I arrived here, I will defer to your wisdom. However, does "black suit," deserve a definition? What is a black suit? The one to which I refer was a herringbone weave with a slight tan/brown stripe in it. Is that "black" by definition? Are we talking about solid black, or what might be called "black dominant?"
The color black and reguardless of weave, but don't confuse this with a true navy that is black in artificial light but dark navy in natural light. I don't think black contrast well in a suit (not talking about a black suit and white shirt); a tan and black or brown and black stripe doesn't sound good. Don't get me wrong, black isn't bad, but navy or charcoal grey looks better.

·
Registered
907 Posts
One may say, of what were you speaking when you asked. One might imagine a solid black suit when reading your initial post, which is not exactly the sort of item you wish to know about. A few more details may be in order so that the answer received may serve the actual situation.

In my taste, I might wear a herringbone suit if I had one with black shoes or boots. Whether I would wear it with some other color would depend one how I felt about the particular item. One would not wish to comment further without much more information about the fabric color, weight, and cut.

Black is safe for footwear. A herringbone suit might be suitable for business day wear. I wonder what the tan/brown striping has done to the overall appearance of the suit.

Rudy

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Black suit with black shoes, or burgundy if you're feeling adventurous. But brown shoes are just not right with a black suit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.