Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to purchase a Hanauer or Paul Stuart bow tie; I especially like the varying widths available from Hanauer.

One thing these two ties have in common is that the grain of the fabric runs on the bias (~45 degrees to vertical or horizontal). On other ties (David Donahue at L&T, JAB synthetic), the grain appears to run vertically.

Does anyone care about such things? Is one better than the other in terms of the tied shape of the bow?

And does anyone know what direction the grain runs in the Robert Talbott Silk Faille Bow Tie? It can probably be had for considerably less than the other two.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Robert Talbott silk faille tie and cummerbund ....

It is too bad that after making such a nice tuxedo (Sig peak lapel with grosgrain facings), for those who wear a tuxedo only 4 or 5 times per year, that JAB made the polyester tie and cummerbund set in polyester. Even if no one else could tell polyester from silk, I would know it. So I investigated and recently purchased the Robert Talbott. The grain does run at 45 degs. from top to bottom. At least the Talbott pretty well matches up the grosgrain facings of the JAB. I had a hard time convincing myself of the JAB peak lapel, but it would have been a grandiose gesture to pay the Paul Stuart, or even the shawl collar BB price, when seldom wearing a tuxedo, but adamantly refusing to rent one. The Talbott accessories are as nice as the Stuart ones and are often on sale at Direct Cothing or Hansen's online.

Talbott also makes the silk faille vest which I may buy a little later. The white pique Talbott vest looks nice, but I am not convinced it is appropriate for black tie. While on the subject, I did opt for the BB Opera Pumps, which, by the way, I do not consider effeminate, but adding panache to the formal gear. I also chose the OTC silk hose offered by Ben Silver. I bought both the black and scarlet. With the low vamp of the Opera Pump, the scarlet hose nicely brings down the scarlet pocket square I choose to wear. The OTC hose also negates the use of the reprehensible sock garters which are ugliness personified. The formal socks from Silver are also available in midnight blue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I investigated and recently purchased the Robert Talbott. The grain does run at 45 degs. from top to bottom.

Talbott also makes the silk faille vest which I may buy a little later.
Thanks for the info. I bought a backless RLPL silk tuxedo vest yesterday on ebay for about $100; the photos indicate a significant ribbed texture to the fabric.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.