Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been given a new pair of black Bally penny loafers, what on earth do you wear black penny loafers with? (I'm 25 if that helps)

I have never worn black casual shoes before, so I feel a bit lost!

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
I understand your dilemma: like me, you tend to think of black as a formal colour; a loafer, on the other hand, is - and let us be clear about this - a casual shoe.

Now, assuming that you are unable to return to Bally and swap them either for a more formal model or the brown (or tan or whatever) version, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to find a felicitous solution: rule them out of your formalwear wardrobe (i.e., black and white tie, morning suit etc.). I should also avoid pairing them with a lounge suit. Once you've done that, you'll find that they may appropriately be worn with blazers, sportscoats, corduroys and (if one must) jeans. You may also wear them with more informal suits: say, Summer linens, gabardines, etc.

I must say that I wear black shoes only when obliged to do so, but you shouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing your black penny loafers in the appropriate context.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you decide to get ready for the wrath of the AA Forum police you can wear them with black chinos (did I say that, yes, and I do not think you will look like a waiter), black jeans, even a nice pair of black dress pants if you are going out to dinner or drinks for a casual evening out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've just been given a new pair of black Bally penny loafers, what on earth do you wear black penny loafers with? (I'm 25 if that helps)

I have never worn black casual shoes before, so I feel a bit lost!

Thanks
I like mine best with dark jeans. One thing I have noticed is that a penny loafer calls for slim-cut trousers to stay in proportion; it makes the world of difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.