Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this jacket in my possession:

Link:

Amazingly, it fits. This is actually a first for me--a jacket that fits my shoulders and chest simultaneously. There may be an issue with the shoulders being too soft for me, and I'm not totally convinced the color is right for my complexion. Besides all that, though, I'm wondering which pants I'd wear with it.

I know that grey pants would work. But what about khaki or navy chinos? Or light brown (dark khaki) or navy moleskins? I'm guessing those would all be risky, especially considering that, because I'm color-blind, I wouldn't be able to judge for myself. (My wife isn't great at this stuff, either.) But maybe I'm wrong and the aforementioned non-greys are okay. What do you think?

Aside: For men out there with narrow shoulders...I have this jacket in 42L, and my tailor measured the shoulders at 19".

P.S. I'm getting an "x" in place of the image, and I don't know why. Not sure if it's just me or what.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have a similar jacket (black and white herringbone) and wear primarily charcoal gray, navy, and black trousers with it.

I know some don't like navy flannel trousers, but I like that the gray on top-navy on bottom version looks from a distance like an inversion of the ever-popular charcoal trousers/navy blazer combination.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. It looks like I'm keeping the jacket, and my tailor tells me it doesn't even need to be altered. I can't believe it. :) That just doesn't happen to me.

Another question pops to mind. Does this jacket require black shoes? I ask because I don't currently have a pair I'd want to wear with it. I've gotten by so far with only brown shoes, since I'm almost always dressed casually and in non-grey pants. In any case...again...do I need black shoes now?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Of all the colors of trousers mentioned above, the only one that would require black shoes - is black pants imo.

If you are wearing it with blues, greys, tan, browns - then no, you wouldn't need black shoes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick resurrection.

I'm choosing between a couple pairs of corduroy trousers. One is dark brown and the other is medium brown. Which would work best with the jacket discussed above? Or would they be about equal?

And I'm guessing that brown cords of any shade will go with a navy blazer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gray would be a traditional, non-seasonal coordinate, whereas white in the summer would look good. Black and brown would be a poor harmony; the same for black and most earthy colors, including olive; such pairings are seldom seen together. Navy odd trousers, on the other hand, harmonize well with black and gray, but are simply untraditional; charcoal would be preferred. Black trousers are not simply untraditional, but quite formal, and tend only in formal outfits to be worn, and then with a stripe or checks. Taupe, as was mentioned, is an interesting choice, since it is a very gray beige, and could look good with black and gray; though it is hard for me to say, because I have little experience in outfits with coordinating black. I tend again to limit black to formal wear, but nevertheless could see the value of such a black and gray herringbone jacket in the summer when, with the pairing of lighter trousers, especially white, it would look fittingly sporty, for something such as a resort town.

The subject of shoes came up too. The jacket and shoes' harmony is always less of a concern than the shoes and trousers', and there is the common advice: black or burgundy shoes, always in a darker shade, with gray trousers; white trousers may have more options.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'd go with navy or black, myself, but what about a russet or "brick"? A little unconventional, but it just might look great with cognac leather.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Black and charcoal pants would be my first choices. In fact they are my choices when I wear my black/grey herringbone jacket. I like navy pants but I've never been able to bring myself to wear them with the black/grey jacket. It just doesn't look good to me.

Cruiser

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Black and charcoal pants would be my first choices. In fact they are my choices when I wear my black/grey herringbone jacket. I like navy pants but I've never been able to bring myself to wear them with the black/grey jacket. It just doesn't look good to me.
Charcoal is definitely an option, but I was thinking a medium grey would be better for me because it would provide a little more contrast with the jacket and would "cut me in half". That seems like a good thing for someone who's tall, like I am.

I'd opt against black and navy on versatility grounds, as my other main jacket is a navy blazer. Greys and charcoals seem like better bets.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Charcoal is definitely an option, but I was thinking a medium grey would be better for me
That's my next choice and what I sometimes wear also. I just said that charcoal and black were my first choices. I wear all three of these.

I'd opt against black and navy on versatility grounds
I'm not sure how either of these would limit "versatility" as they simply give you more choices to mix and match. It seems to me that if you have three, or even four, different pairs of pants to match with the jacket you would just have that much more versatility.

For example, with my black pants I like a light or medium grey shirt; with my charcoal pants I like a light blue or burgandy striped shirt; and with the light grey pants I usually wear a white or blue striped shirt. There are a lot of different combinations there, all with the same jacket.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Quick resurrection.

I'm choosing between a couple pairs of corduroy trousers. One is dark brown and the other is medium brown. Which would work best with the jacket discussed above? Or would they be about equal?

And I'm guessing that brown cords of any shade will go with a navy blazer.
Given the texture of the herringbone, I'm a little "iffy" about the corduroy, regardless of color. I'd be thinking something of a smooth texture, and almost any of the colors mentioned earlier. I have a similar sportcoat, and usually go with black pants, followed by charcoal. Haven't done navy, but I think it would work. i usually go with black shoes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure how either [black or navy trousers] would limit "versatility" as they simply give you more choices to mix and match.
They wouldn't limit my overall versatility, but they wouldn't be versatile in themselves, so I don't see them as worth buying (for me, right now). Black trousers need black shoes, and I don't like wearing the one pair of black shoes I have. They're for more formal occasions, and that's it. Navy trousers would be worn only with the black/grey sportcoat, and not with a navy blazer. Contrast that with something like grey, charcoal, or taupe, which could be worn with either jacket. That's what I meant.

As of now, I don't wear a tailored jacket all that often, so I don't need lots of trouser options.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why corduroy?
Clearance item at STP. Had nothing necessarily to do with the herringbone sportcoat at all, but as long as I was going to have both of them, I figured I should ask about wearing them together.

Guess I would have to see the pants in question, but herringbone and corduroy would seem to be a very busy combination imo.
I suspect you're right.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a similar sportcoat, and usually go with black pants, followed by charcoal.
It's interesting to me that you and Cruiser both choose charcoal over a relatively lighter grey. I've been thinking I should choose the shade of...

Okay, I'm going to stop spelling "gray" with an 'e'. I did it originally because I wanted to match the ad at STP, but I'm totally sick of it now. :) Anyway...

I've been thinking I should choose the shade of gray that provided the highest contrast with the sportcoat, in part to de-emphasize my height a little. I know that's not super-important, but one has to make a decision somehow. So...do you agree with my reasoning, or do you just prefer charcoal, and if so, why? Same question for you, Cruiser.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It's interesting to me that you and Cruiser both choose charcoal over a relatively lighter grey. I've been thinking I should choose the shade of...

Okay, I'm going to stop spelling "gray" with an 'e'. I did it originally because I wanted to match the ad at STP, but I'm totally sick of it now. :) Anyway...

I've been thinking I should choose the shade of gray that provided the highest contrast with the sportcoat, in part to de-emphasize my height a little. I know that's not super-important, but one has to make a decision somehow. So...do you agree with my reasoning, or do you just prefer charcoal, and if so, why? Same question for you, Cruiser.
Though you didn't address your question to me, this is what I do: strive for maximum contrast when I want to de-emphasize my 6'3" height and slim build.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.