Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Aside from the date windows that shows the days both before and after the current date (?), that Timex is a pretty straight-up military/pilot/aviator style watch reminiscent of those worn by the military since at least the 40s and possibly earlier.

I'm still not quite sure what the "trad rules" are for watches, though I suppose that anything blingy, ostentatious, or just plain silly (e.g. $2K Tag that's got same inexpensive quartz movement as $20 Swatch) would not qualify. This Timex is very classic looking, only let down somewhat by the questionable tri-day date window.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
There is nothing trendy about the black face. But I don't get the thing with the date window. If it's the 14th, I already know that yesterday was the 13th and tomorrow is the 15th. I have that stuff memorized.

· Registered
877 Posts
I own this watch. I love black face, military style watches in general. I'm not sure why it shows the dates before and after unless it is somehow to show off the perpetual date function by which the watch knows how many days are in the month. It's a bit silly but it's nothing especially ostentatious. The watch is a wee bit on the large side. It's considerably bigger than a Timex Easy Reader, and bigger than my Hamilton wind-up field watch (which I would wear everyday if it didn't gain about 5 minutes an hour.) It's even bigger than a Bell & Ross Vintage 123. To me the size is the fad aspect -- a fad which I hope will pass eventually. If watches keep getting bigger, eventually we'll be borrowing clocks from Flavor Flav.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
It's certainly a traditional look.

Here is what I wear regularly. It's an older automatic Timex from the Bay:

Here's a Seiko automatic I owned. I still have it but it stopped working due to me dropping it too many times:

· Registered
1,387 Posts
These Timex are awfully nice IMO. I love any decently made automatic that doesn't cost a ton. These Timex are sleek, functional, and the antithesis of flash. Its definitely Trad.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
As mentioned earlier, black faced watches like that are classic. The Hamilton Khaki Field watch has a blackfaced model that is quite handsome. It's a good look.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.