Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I found a great three-piece suit in heavy birds-eye fabric, white dots on charcoal, and I was hoping to get input on the best patterns to match with it. My understanding is that the scale of the shirt pattern should be similar in scale, so does that mean that relatively narrow/closely spaced stripes and small checks are the best? Or am I off base? Or is birds-eye subtle enough that it doesn't matter?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hi everyone,

I found a great three-piece suit in heavy birds-eye fabric, white dots on charcoal, and I was hoping to get input on the best patterns to match with it. My understanding is that the scale of the shirt pattern should be similar in scale, so does that mean that relatively narrow/closely spaced stripes and small checks are the best? Or am I off base? Or is birds-eye subtle enough that it doesn't matter?
Sounds more like nails-head than birds-eye. Most birds-eye from my experience is tweed, and while you didn't say, it's less common that nails-head worsted. Either way, you're looking to achieve a pleasing contrast of pattern intensity between the various components of your clothing. Both nails-head and birdseye are small enough that you can enjoy them almost like a solid. Larger pattern shirts and ties will generally work better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.