Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I happened to come across this fabulous movie on DVD at the Library, and was totally blown away by the story and performances!

Since then, I have read the source novel and play as well. Did anybody here see the musical version, Billy, which starred Michael Crawford? How different was it from the movie?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Hello,

I happened to come across this fabulous movie on DVD at the Library, and was totally blown away by the story and performances!
Since then, I have read the source novel and play as well. Did anybody here see the musical version, Billy, which starred Michael Crawford? How different was it from the movie?
Thank you in advance for your information.

Kind Regards,

Chase
Test my memory please. (And I've not googled this): the original film is c. '65? It's in B&W and it stars Tom Courtenay and Julie Christie?

I saw it 1st-run in a Times Sq. theater 40+ years ago and have never seen (or even thought) of it since. I liked it. It became a musical?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Test my memory please. (And I've not googled this): the original film is c. '65? It's in B&W and it stars Tom Courtenay and Julie Christie?

I saw the it 1st-run in a Times Sq. theater 40+ years ago and have never seen (or even thought of it since.) I liked it. It became a musical?

Excellent, P&P! You got the stars correct and the film opened in the UK in 1963, so it may not have made it to America until 1965.

The musical version opened in the West End in 1971 (never made it to Broadway) and had music by John Barry.

More information on the musical here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_(musical)

--Chase

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
and a song too!

by the Decemberists (a NW "indie" rock band)

Billy Liar's got his hands in his pockets
Staring over at the neighbor's, knickers down.
He's got his knickers down.

So the summer is eternity for you?
Sleeping in until your father's shaking you down,
He's shaking you down.

And the mailroom shift gets a real short shrift
As you dole out the packages, no-one seems to want you around,
All skulking around.

Let your legs loll on the lino
'Til your sinews spoil.
Will you stay here for a while, dear,
'Til the radio plays something familiar?
Plays something familiar.

All a-drifting, he's a no-good boyo
Sent a-fishing for a whalebone corset frame
(His only catch all day)

So he sits and lets the current take him
A gentle breeze will leave his pants in disarray
And at his ankles lain.

As he drifts to sleep with a moan and a weep.
He is decked by a Japanese geisha with a garland of pearls.
How she twists and twirls!

Let your legs loll on the lino
'Til your sinews spoil.
Will you stay here for a while, dear,
'Til the radio plays something familiar?
Plays something familiar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
John Schlesinger & Julie Christie

I admire both. Have you seen "Darling"? How about "Petulia"? -- not by Schlesinger, but much Julie Christie.

Did Tom Courtenay do a film of "The Dresser"? Saw him in the West End but not as enthralled -- by the play -- as were so many others.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I admire both. Have you seen "Darling"? How about "Petulia"? -- not by Schlesinger, but much Julie Christie.

Did Tom Courtenay do a film of "The Dresser"? Saw him in the West End but not as enthralled -- by the play -- as were so many others.
I've seen both Darling and Petulia. I really enjoyed the former; I'm lukewarm about the latter.

Yep, that was Albert Finney and Courtenay in the film version of The Dresser. In one of those interesting little coincidences that I enjoy so much, Finney played the title role in Billy Liar on stage.

--Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John Barry, who wrote most of the music for the early James Bond movies? How interesting...
Yes Sir! :icon_smile:

John Barry also wrote the music for a 1960s British musical titled Passion Flower Hotel, about some girls in a finishing school and their sexual awakenings.

Pauline Collins, who was to play Sarah in "Upstairs Downstairs," was in the cast.

--Chase

·
Registered
523 Posts
To anyone who likes Billy Liar I would say read anything you can find by its author, Keith Waterhouse. One of the best and funniest novelists of recent years. He is in his seventies now and not quite as good as he was 20-30 years ago, but still very readable. I would recommend 'Jubb', 'Maggie Muggins' and 'Office Life'.

·
Registered
192 Posts
To anyone who likes Billy Liar I would say read anything you can find by its author, Keith Waterhouse. One of the best and funniest novelists of recent years. He is in his seventies now and not quite as good as he was 20-30 years ago, but still very readable. I would recommend 'Jubb', 'Maggie Muggins' and 'Office Life'.
Also "Billy Liar on the Moon".The sequel to "Billy Liar",one of the few sequels that are as good as the original.It was never made into a film but I can never read it without seeing Tom Courtney in it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.