Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contrary to some opinions on these pants (when they were first introduced) the M3 is perfect, for me. Let me clarify that I have been a Bills wearer for the past several years but to be honest the M2 were just a little larger than what I cared for. I am 5'7" and weigh 185lbs, wear a size 34 pant with a 29" inseam. I am not thin but more of an athletic build. The M2 had a tendency to make me look even shorter and wider than I am. I would remedy this problem by having the legs tapered and a little material taken up in the seat. Recently I ordered a pair of the M3 design just to see how they would fit. The "slimmer" cut is much more flattering on me and the need for all the extra adjustments in the tailoring department is now a thing of the past. The rise is not nearly as short as some would lead you to believe nor is the cut anywhere near "skin tight" as has been reported. I like them so much that I ordered 4 additional pair of them today and cannot wait till they arrive. I think the fit is a much more refined look than the M2 offers, much more closely resembling the fit of the khakis in the photos from the 50's and 60's that we all love. The only detail on the pants that kind of bothers me, but not a great deal, are the slant pockets. I think overall for those of us that don't want to look like we are wearing our bigger siblings clothing the M3 is worth a look! YMMV!:icon_smile:

· Registered
2,186 Posts
CCC -- That's great to hear. I've been unhappy with the fit of my M2's and thinking about the trimmer cut M3's for some time now. I'm not very athletic, but have an "athletic build" and am 5-8, 165 lbs., waist 32" inseam around 28.5.

I originally had the M2's cuffed with a break. Then I wanted to look more like AldenPyle in his photos, so I had the pants shortened and re-cuffed with no break. Lo and behold, they look kinda stupid on me! Too wide, too much sail.

I love the construction of the Bills, though. Now I'm going to look into M3's. Thanks!

· Registered
2,186 Posts
Nobody in NYC carries the M3's. I called Bills for the names of city retailers that carry their line, and called the retailers too.

So. I guess ordering them online and returning them if they don't fit right is the only answer.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
I don't have what most would consider an "athletic" build (5' 11" tall, 190 lbs., 36" waist, 30" inseam), but Bill's M2 (and especially the M1) make me look fat. Sorry if that sounds "girly," but they do. I may have to check out the M3, although I prefer on-seam pockets.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ That's amazing. Your shop not only shortens and cuffs the pants, but also tapers and trims them throughout-- for free? That's a heckuva great place.
I am very grateful to have a place like that. I am also good friends with the owner so that might help me out a little! :icon_smile_wink: Plus, they sell all the good stuff. Gitman, Corbin, Alden, Bills, H. Freeman, Southwick, McClure, Col Littleton, Filson....the list goes on and on. A fabulous little shop with customer service that is absolutely second to none.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have what most would consider an "athletic" build (5' 11" tall, 190 lbs., 36" waist, 30" inseam), but Bill's M2 (and especially the M1) make me look fat. Sorry if that sounds "girly," but they do. I may have to check out the M3, although I prefer on-seam pockets.
Doesn't sound "girly" at all, I feel the same way!! I think you might be pleased with the M3 if you can get past the absence of an on seam pocket.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
This sounds perfect. I've been thinking about trying the M3s for some time, as I have a really hard time finding khakis that I like. At 5'10, 150, I prefer a slimmer cut, but I can't stand the shape of of most khakis from J. Crew and the other mall stores. The legs just seem too perfectly cylindrical. I also happen to prefer off-seam pockets: easier to dig things out of them, easier to rest your hands in.

· Registered
3,914 Posts
How wide are the hems on the M3?

· Registered
343 Posts
I bought them locally. Hansens Clothiers sells them and they do inseam alterations free and also the shipping is free. I have used them in the past and been very happy with their service.
I talked with the proprietor of Hansen's about a custom Talbot shirt a year or so ago. Very accomodating - I'll give him a call about the M3's. Thanks!

· Registered
128 Posts
What about BB Milano khakis?

I'm glad they work for you. I was disappointed because they were not even a bit tapered. They were even slightly wider at the hem than my M2s.

Has anyone tried the new BB Milano khakis? They look rather nice in the catalogue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.