Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've needed a few pair of solid khaki pants for a while. I have a few pair by Banana and a pair by Hickey that are OK, but I've thought about getting myself into some Bills M3. I'm pretty skinny at 150lbs and 5'9" and like my khakis to be trimmer. I do have runners legs so uber trim trousers are ng for me.

Anyway, are they really worth the price? I mean, my BR khakis were like $30 on sale. The ones I'm looking at are on sale for about $70. Are they that much better? Or are you paying for a "Trad" designer name?

TY-Rob

· Registered
715 Posts
I personally find them to be extremely good quality. I currently have three pair (M1, M2 and Henley Pants) and at this point I would not buy anything else.

Although they are pricey, Bills Khaki's are definitely the best I have owned since my original LL Bean khakis some 25-years ago in high school.

As to the price, check Ebay and for deals.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
No idea about Bills. I am 27 and like you, I am 155lbs at 5'10" with a 31" waist and have a hard time finding a pair of trim (not skin tight) khakis. Beleive it or not, the khakis I wear these days are from dockers and old navy ... they sit at the waist though, kinda like jeans and I have a feeling they won't last long. The old navy one is soft and comfortable to wear, best suited for weekends. Dockers is good for work, but they don't look amazing or anything. Good thing they are both inexpensive.

I have forever been looking for a pair of solid khakis ... I tried Bills M2 in a local shop and it was too baggy on me (not to mention expensive). If I am paying that price for a pair of khakis, I better get something that will last and look the part too.

In my opinion, Buzz Rickson makes the best khakis. Familyman did a great reivew here:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=60331

You don't need to use a proxy or anything anymore, now you can buy directly from the japanese sellers:

The 1942, 1945 models are what you want. If you don't want to go through the hassle of buying from Japan, you can get them from Histroy Preservation Associates:
https://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/buzzrlanding_2.php
pic:

Yes, they are pricey ... but if they are really as solid as in the review above, then I think they are worth it. I am seriously considering buying a pair (from japan though, have a friend there) to check them out in January.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Japanese site that you can order direct from looks tres shady...

· Registered
3,914 Posts
You don't need to use a proxy or anything anymore, now you can buy directly from the japanese sellers:
Thanks for posting this. Too bad the Yen is kicking butt and taking names these days. Just as a note, you can also find the Toys McCoy Steve Mcqueen khaki on that site. They try to replicate the khakis that the Cooler King wore in the Great Escape. Kind of cheesy and really expensive, but I would like a pair.

I have Bills in M1 and M2 and I like them both. The fabric really is great, though many complain about fraying on the twill; I have not had a problem. Personally, I find that many of my favorite Bills are in non-twill fabrics (poplin, canvas, cords, etc.).

If I feel like a slimmer profile on a given day (I am 5'9", 150, 31W), I wear J.Press khakis. Dressier than Bills, Made in USA by Berle, material not as nice, about $60 on sale now. They are slim across the hips and thigh but also have a comfortable rise (I am not a huge fan of low rise pants). They are too straight-legged for me, but tapering them to 16" cuffs was not major surgery. O'Connells also carries Berle as the house khaki.

Brooks has a good cut on their Clark khakis, but I dislike the non-iron fabric. Others think they do a better job than most non-iron. Someone in the NYC area might want to check out Uniqlo. However, the rise on Uniqlo is ultra low and fabric tends to crepe paper thickness.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Rob,

I will give you a counterpoint to the near-uniform praise for Bill's. I'm not claiming they're not damned good pants. In fact, they are very well made. I've had a few pairs in a few different styles. However, they may just be a bit too well made. There's a lot of expensive detailing in 'em and that costs money. The question is whether it's worth it to you. I wear chinos as casual trousers. Often as plain beaters. For me, whatever Land's End has on sale for under $20 does a great job. So, I probably wouldn't go hog wild on Bill's myself.

Now, if you're in a job where khakis are business wear, maybe they're worthwhile. I'm a suit man, so that's not the case for me. If fit is your concern and Bill's babies are the ne plus ultra of chino fit, they might be worthwhile to you. Otherwise, there are a lot of producers of chinos at much lower price points. If one of them fits, wear them in good health.

I hate to give advice potentially prejudicial to a PA company, but there it is.

· Registered
3,914 Posts

· Registered
1,702 Posts
All the khaki pants i've ever owned have lasted about 1 to 2 years, then tear or otherwise become unwearable. So I look for the subtler indicators of quality.

I buy Bills flat front M2 pants because they hold their shape after dry cleaning for several wearings instead of one; you can wash and dry them yourself, and if you pluck them out of a hot dryer and fold them up, they get very smooth and need no ironing; they're well thought-out and sewn together, so they're easy to alter and repair; and, they age so gracefully - the exact analogue of a well-fading pair of Levis. Besides that, M2s actually fit me well and have unfinished bottoms, so I can cuff 'em.

Bills don't necessarily last longer than the other khaki pants out there, but they work extremely well during their somewhat limited lifetimes.

· Registered
993 Posts
I am a fan of Bills as well. Can't beat the poplin in the summer and the chamois are great to wear to the office with a coat and tie.

As one other poster mentioned, LE are a great value especially from the overstocks. I picked up a pair for $15 several years ago which have held up well.

Another option is the Polo GI Chino. I would rate these sligher higher than the Bills regular twill.

· Registered
209 Posts
Bills are great, but some models can be on the baggy side. The pair I owned seemed a little highwaisted to me. That said, I thought they were great pants, but I did not like them so much I wanted to shell out another $100 for another pair. I mostly wear J Crew essential chinos. When they're on sale, they're about 40% less than Bills. I think they're a nice pair of khakis.

· Registered
493 Posts
This may land me in the AAAC hall of shame, but believe it or not, the Cherokee flat front khakis at Target are reasonably slim fitting (I am 5'7", 130lbs, 29" waist). I have a couple of pairs and they have served me reasonably well. Bills they may not be, but at a fourth of the prices, they are worth taking a chance on.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Bill's Khakis is selling a brand and a lifestyle, not just khakis. They really have an incredibly loyal cult following. My advice would be to buy one pair and see what you think. If you can say "meh, just a nice pair of khakis", then you are not a Bill's kind of guy. Maybe you will put them on and realize what all of us loyal customers have been enjoying for a long while. Also, while I do draw inspiration from more traditional manners of dress, I would definitely not consider myself "trad".

· Registered
232 Posts
Been a fan of Bills M2 for several years.Lately,though,it's occured to me that some Polos(Prospect,I believe)that I've bought at Marshall's or Filenes Basement at around $30-$35 are at least as good in material and durability.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm wearing a pair of Orvis, US made Khakis at the moment. One of my all time favorites. They are trim (I'm 6 foot and about 165 lbs), but not at all snug. The rise is good. I got them on the bay for iirc $14. They look quite nice without being fussy.

By the way, I don't think I've worn out a pair of pants (except jeans) since I was about 12. What are you guys doing in them?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.