Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're in the neighborhood, Mardens in Scarborough, near Portland, Maine, has received a batch of Bills Khakis, marked at $30/pair. Those I checked are made in USA, and appear not to be irregulars. Most already on the racks have pleats. Various models on display, quite a few Nantucket Reds.

· Registered
193 Posts
Have you tried the only TRAD CLOTHING STORE in Portland. David Wood Ltd. may carry them or be able to order them for you. David Wood is a Trad Bastion with Southwick, Hertling Trousers, Alden Shoes, etc etc etc. Other then that Maine is not a Trad place. Jeans and sneaks rule in Maine. Years ago it was for sure a Trad place with Dunhams of Maine, the Holmes Store. Admirals Buttons and Best Bib and Tucker. Times change!

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of traditional clothing, i.e. shoes, shirts (Hathway), were made in Maine, but that doesn't make it a Trad location. Other than the three prestigious private colleges, and in a relatively stretch along the coast, Maine was predominately blue collar, with logging, paper mills, textile mills, fishing/lobstering and tourism. Now it's largely just tourism. David Wood has lovely, high-end men's clothing, but I wouldn't call it Trad, along the lines of Andover Shop or J. Press.

· Registered
193 Posts
A lot of traditional clothing, i.e. shoes, shirts (Hathway), were made in Maine, but that doesn't make it a Trad location. Other than the three prestigious private colleges, and in a relatively stretch along the coast, Maine was predominately blue collar, with logging, paper mills, textile mills, fishing/lobstering and tourism. Now it's largely just tourism. David Wood has lovely, high-end men's clothing, but I wouldn't call it Trad, along the lines of Andover Shop or J. Press

You are very correct. In Bangor they recently lost Macy's. That says a lot about the retail climate in Northern Maine. There is no where to buy a decent Men's Suit in that whole area. David Wood does have Southwick and Hurtling in Portland. I have no idea how folks can afford to live in Portland.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.