Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who says chubby guys can't be puttin' on the dog!?

Marcel Carné -

Marcel Carné was a French film director. A key figure in the poetic realism movement.

Giuliano Ferrara -

Big boned guys can wear ice cream suits too! Giuliano Ferrara is an Italian politician, journalist, founding editor of Il Foglio, and a TV presenter too.

Henri Jeanson -

Henri Jeanson was a French writer and journalist.

The great Jean Gabin -

Ridiculously talented iconic French character actor!

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sidney Greenstreet - a self-described "fat" man who wore his clothes well.

View attachment 20242 View attachment 20243 View attachment 20244 View attachment 20245
Great examples. I'll nominate The Great One, Mr. Jackie Gleason:

View attachment 20246 View attachment 20247
Two superb examples of immaculately well tailored gentlemen.

As a boy I frequently saw Gleason on TV, and when out of character, he wore clothing that was perhaps the best cut and fitted I've ever seen on a heavy man. Even though I had not yet become interested in dress, I was dazzled by how sharp he looked.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^I've only seen him in pictures, but, except for his role as Ralph Kramden, Gleason was always well dressed and the fit was impeccable. Under those conditions, his girth could almost go unmentioned by observers. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
That would be a much more modern iteration of the "fat man" He is truly gigantic. Looks like he needs a bit more work on the jacket - it's pulling. But nice cloth and I love how the pockets and lapels are supersized. Keeping proportions is critical on a large person.
David Morgan-Hewitt had gained weight after he got that suit. He used to be only a little larger than "fat". He has been described as just as much of an institution as the hotel he manages!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.