Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think that it is pretty well-established that Biden is a reliable liberal on domestic policy and a reliable moderate on foreign policy.
His treatment of Judge Robert Bork during the latter's Supreme Court nomination hearings was astonishingly dishonest, and shamefully so. Please feel free to read the transcripts -- I'm sure they are online somewhere.

And not a chance that McCain will select Lieberman, whose voting record is not all that different than Biden, but who is a far more principled and intelligent man.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I haven't seen anyone suggest Biden is a "crazy liberal".

Obama's primary messages are the vague "change/hope" stuff. Biden hardly represents that. Instead, he represents 36 years of inside the beltway old time politics.

Tme magazine pretty well states my reasons for liking Obama's choice:

""I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said, apparently oblivious to his implied slur of previous African-American politicians."

"The history of Biden's gaffes, however, show the risks of naming him to the ticket. He was forced out of the race for President in 1988 after Michael Dukakis' campaign leaked evidence that Biden had plagiarized a speech from British Labour Party leader Neil Kinnock, and in doing so had misrepresented his own class background. In June 2006, Biden offended Indian-Americans when he claimed a great relationship with them thanks to the fact that in Delaware, "You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent." Six months later he made the infamous comment about Obama's cleanliness.

It's a measure of how badly the last month has gone for the once high-flying Obama campaign that they're willing to risk taking on board a shoot-from-the-lip running mate like Biden. And in a race that is growing tighter with every poll, that risk could make a real difference — for better or for worse."

Obama sees Biden as filling in some of Obama's many weaknesses. Maybe. Maybe the left is happy with the choice. All I can say, is, I am, too. When Biden goes into attack mode, he will invariably come up with more embarrassing gaffes. It should be entertaining, if nothing else.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
And don't forget this peach of a sound bite. I think being in the senate stunts the intellectual growth of many.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
...His [Biden's] treatment of Judge Robert Bork during the latter's Supreme Court nomination hearings was astonishingly dishonest, and shamefully so....
I am curious: shameful to whom? Biden clearly enjoyed himself and gained reward from his work while Bork managed to stay reasonably controlled and saved his vitriol for later books which were well received in many quarters. According to the media, it all made for great Senate theater. Perhaps you mean shameful to the legal profession, the institution of the Senate and its role in advice & consent or even to America as a whole?

Cordially,
Adrian Quay

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
biden was chosen for two reasons.

1) to shore up obama on the nat'l security front
2) to rip mccain a new hole at every campaign stop
So a vote for Obama is a vote for Joe Biden's national security policy?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Do you think his handlers will stop him from wearing two-tone shirts, because of their negative connotations in mainstream circles?

(Gary Condit, movie villians, etc.)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am curious: shameful to whom? Biden clearly enjoyed himself and gained reward from his work while Bork managed to stay reasonably controlled and saved his vitriol for later books which were well received in many quarters. According to the media, it all made for great Senate theater. Perhaps you mean shameful to the legal profession, the institution of the Senate and its role in advice & consent or even to America as a whole?

Cordially,
Adrian Quay
I'm not sure I understand your question, but it was shameful in the objective sense. Lying about important matters is calumnous if it risks detracting from a person's reputation. Such conduct is shameful. Many of my law partners believe that there was no shame since there was no lie, insomuch as they believe Biden to be an idiot who actually believed the virtriolic nonsense he spewed. Perhaps, but I don't buy it.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Good choice for Obama, but not necessarily a surprise. Smart, articulate, snappy dresser, but a prima donna. He might help build Obama's international credibility (a bit) but it makes the whole "change" thing ring hollow now...as someone posted earlier.

Honestly, I've always liked Biden...if only because he's kind of a smart as*. His being on the ticket won't me make vote for Obama, though. For that matter, McCain's running mate choice probably won't make me vote for him either...unless it's someone like Tom Ridge or Christie Todd Whitman. Bob Barr is looking better day by day to me.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question, but it was shameful in the objective sense. Lying about important matters is calumnous it it risks detracting from their reputation. Such conduct is shameful. Many of my law partners believe that there was no shame since there was no lie, insomuch as they believe Biden to be an idiot who actually believed the virtriolic nonsense he spewed. Perhaps, but I don't buy it.
Thank you for your reply -- the objective sense was what I thought you might mean but I wasn't sure if you had someone or someuch more particular in mind.

Senator Biden won his "case" and was certainly zealous, but at what overall cost? Even at the time I remember thinking that if one wanted to derail Mr. Bork there were better ways to go about it.

Cordially,
Adrian Quay.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
...Honestly, I've always liked Biden...if only because he's kind of a smart as*. His being on the ticket won't make vote for Obama, though....
Actually it already has, at least in South Carolina. Some of my regular Carolinian acquaintances are solid conservatives that don't think "Quick-Draw John" would be a good President, saying nowadays we need a fresh, strong leader not a good soldier. They've been waiting to see who Obama picked, flatly stating that if he picked "that woman" (i.e., Senator Clinton) they'd either hold their noses and vote for McCain or more likely stay away from voting at all. But now that Obama has picked Biden they're prepared to vote for him and will likely do so despite anyone McCain might choose for a running mate.

Politics does strange things to people. :icon_smile:

Cordially,
Adrian Quay

·
Registered
256 Posts
Biden et al

For supporters of John McCain, Biden is a great choice.
I agree - real East Coast Democrat spiv like Kerry without the dough thrown in. What with the Messiah on the way to nowhere (according to Zogby) and the Clintonistas at their most wilful and disruptive this can only help...but then McCain at 76 will need all the help he can get....

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.