Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://apnews.myway.com/article/20080923/D93C4OT80.html

Joe Biden has described the recent ad criticizing John McCain for not using a computer as "terrible" and said he wouldn't have allowed it had he known about it ahead of time.

I'm not sure how to react to this. Part of me wants to cheer Biden for having some integrity and defending a man who he has considered a friend in the past (and even recommended as a running mate for John Kerry in 2004). Part of me thinks he is absolutely insane and a liability for Obama's campaign. How can you criticize your own campaign's ad? Even if it is totally wrong. Lastly, what does it say about Biden's role in the campaign, since he wasn't even aware of the ads content until it went out? Or is this just damage control after the fact?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't intend for this to turn into a Biden-bashing thread. I just found it odd that he would criticize his own campaign's ad and that he is admitting that he is so far out of the loop on these kinds of decisions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Honestly is it realistic to expect a candidate to see and approve every ad used in such a massive campaign? I want to say yes but realize that may be expecting too much. I'm not entirely upset at the idea of someone doing their job and not spending their time worried about soliciting for votes, and I don't even like Biden. Of course a tactic like this would be a nice way to have your cake and eat it too if you were trying to be underhanded.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I honestly think it's after-the-fact damage control. I actually admire Biden on a few levels. He's always struck me as someone with integrity (something sorely lacking in DC) who is willing to speak his mind. The fact he often sticks his own foot in his mouth reminds me that he is, at the end of the day, a fairly normal person.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Isn't he the same old Biden who said Hillary would have been a better VP than he is? He just tells it candidly like he sees it. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Of course, now Obama has yanked Biden's leash and Biden has recanted his "admission" regarding the mocking ad.

A statement has been issue with Biden saying he hadn't even seen the ad, adding that the mocking ad is just fine because McCain ads are lying about Obama.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I honestly think it's after-the-fact damage control. I actually admire Biden on a few levels. He's always struck me as someone with integrity (something sorely lacking in DC) who is willing to speak his mind. The fact he often sticks his own foot in his mouth reminds me that he is, at the end of the day, a fairly normal person.
+1

This could have been contrived, but perhaps was more just an honest moment.

While I understand why the Biden haters have their issues, I like the man quite a bit to be honest.

-spence

·
Registered
115 Posts
How can you criticize your own campaign's ad? Even if it is totally wrong.

Lastly, what does it say about Biden's role in the campaign, since he wasn't even aware of the ads content until it went out? Or is this just damage control after the fact?
Yes, it was damage control. Since the general opinion of the ad was negative, by him saying that it was a bad ad, he is uniting himself with the independents who didn't like it. It's a smart political move.

The fact that he wasn't aware about it doesn't mean anything. He's constantly in different locations than Obama, so that they can maximize contact with the voters. Since they are in different locations, he's not going to be in the meeting when they talk about stuff like TV ads.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As an analogy, Microsoft stopped running those Bill Gates/Seinfeld commercials after getting such bad reviews from the public, and said that was the plan all along.

Its a PR game. Saying it was the plan all along sounds a lot better than saying, "Oops, we spent $300million on these crappy commercials that no one likes. "

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.