Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Biden said. "When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'look, here's what happened.'" "

TV existed in 1929?

Roosevelt was president in 1929?

WOW...

· Registered
1,306 Posts
When the British lowered our taxes

did we take it sitting down? Of course not, we rose up in revolt because paying our taxes is patriotic.

· Registered
630 Posts
Reason's headline for this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time:

"And if you owned an experimental TV set in 1929, you would have seen him. And you would have said to yourself, 'Who is that guy? What happened to President Hoover?'"

In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, "Whatta maroon!"

· Registered
4,368 Posts
I am pretty forgiving of mistakes. It is not easy to be "on" all the time, and there are days when one's neurons just don't transmit quite right. But I just can't give Biden any quarter. He is arrogant and treats those who are smarter and more knowledgable than him with contempt and even ridicule. Class A jerk.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
His little lead-up to the hilarity only made it better...

"Part of what a leader does is to instill confidence, is demonstrate what he or she knows what they are talking about... "

Whew, thanks, Joe. I know I feel better know.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
There was a rudimentary form of television in use in 1929 but not, of course, for commercial broadcast. The original poster and the rest of this amen chorus are absolutely correct, that Joe Biden's historical references to F.D.R. were dead wrong. However, John McCain's reiteration of Herbert Hoover's position on the fundamentals of the American economy from October, 1929 through March of 1933 when McCain assessed our conditions today is dead-on accurate and just as pathetic as it was when Hoover said it.

Buzz

· Registered
431 Posts
To piggyback on Biden's point, which was lost because of his historical missteps, in a situation like this, isn't the role of a politician to say all is well? If Barack Obama, or Biden, or McCain were to go out and start talking about how the economy is on its last legs and the whole thing is about to come crashing down, that probably wouldn't help the situation. McCain may be out of touch on this, he may not understand the depth of the problem, but to say anything other than things aren't as bad as they look is to make matters worse. In reality, many of FDR's policies were designed to make people feel like improvements were being made, whether they helped the overall economy or not.

· Registered
431 Posts
Rumors have been circulating that Biden will withdraw, citing health reasons, after the VP debate. This will clear the way for Hillary as a last minute VP change. It may be paranoid fantasy, but people have been seeing the increasingly strange behavior of Biden as part of this master plan. The only problem is that Biden has been saying stuff like this for years, only nobody noticed because he was just a Senator from a minor state.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
"Biden said. "When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'look, here's what happened.'" "

TV existed in 1929?

Roosevelt was president in 1929?

WOW...
Sounds like something Neil Kinnock said once!

· Registered
1,306 Posts
To piggyback on Biden's point, which was lost because of his historical missteps, in a situation like this, isn't the role of a politician to say all is well?
Somehow I always hoped that is was the duty of the elected to be honest with the voters. Naive, I know. The truth and politicans have ever been strangers to one another.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Rumors have been circulating that Biden will withdraw, citing health reasons, after the VP debate. This will clear the way for Hillary as a last minute VP change. It may be paranoid fantasy, but people have been seeing the increasingly strange behavior of Biden as part of this master plan. The only problem is that Biden has been saying stuff like this for years, only nobody noticed because he was just a Senator from a minor state.
First heard this the other day in an email from a relative. Makes some sense but I'll beleive it when I see it.

Seems Obama and Biden spent the last 2 days running against each other, criticizing verbal gaffs largely to do with the economy which neither of them know much about. A week ago Obama was running full time against Palin which kind of backfired and made him look lame. Depsite polls, Obama campaign may be unravelling.

Biden was picked for 2 reasons;
1. to assure the political classes that there wouldnt be too much "change", other than tax rates upward.
2. To go head to head with Romney in debates, bully style like McCain did in the primary to good effect (full disclosure, I was a Romney supporter in the primary and for VP)

Obviously McCain threw Obama, pro-Obama media, the left in general, quite a loop by picking Palin who has proved both popular and resilient.

Biden has very few reporters following him, doesnt attract crowds, and is only newsworthy when he says something over the top or blatantly false. (nothing new BTW, its just getting reported a bit more) Dumping him probably has a certain appeal to people on both sides.

If Hillary replaces him;

1. Dems: Bring back disaffected voters to the dems/Obama, and steels Palins fanfare.

2. GOP: Big sign of weakness ie McGovern/Eagleton, and desperation, and probably a looser.

Hard choice for BO because if he wins with and because of Hillary, she is very good at collecting debts, just ask Bill. Speaking of Bill, he would be bouncing around DC restaurants with un-named women and doing his global initiative (whatever that really is) constantly upstaging President Obama and steeling headlines every time he opens his mouth. As would Hillary in her own more subtle ways. Hell, she may even have the Arkansas mafia take care of him. Then the left can deify him even more as a martyr a la JFK.

Fun to speculate, let see what develops.

· Registered
431 Posts
Somehow I always hoped that is was the duty of the elected to be honest with the voters. Naive, I know. The truth and politicans have ever been strangers to one another.
I would agree in almost ever case that they should be honest (and that they almost never are), but I think that is beside the point in this case. Going out and saying anything other than "all is well" would make the situation worse. If a presidential candidate went out and said the economy is on the verge of collapse it would weaken consumer confidence, perhaps lead to some bank runs (that has happened recently). The best thing for any poltician to do in this situation is to try to calm things down.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
The best thing for any poltician to do in this situation is to try to calm things down.
I believe I agree with your goal, calming things down, but I disagree with your method. Instead of telling lies no one believes, I think it would be better to go out and do some good governing. Of course, good government isn't anything we are likely to see. I am not asking for the wisdom of Solomon in legislation, but the wisdom of Edith Bunker would be a step up from what we have now.:icon_smile_big:

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Better than Bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran? :icon_smile_big:
Not one of McCain's finer moments :)

I wish McCain would stick to the straight talk express format though, he's reading these canned lines from his speech writers off of notes and it really looks bad.

Perhaps one of these days they'll actually let Palin from her sealed chamber and we can see what she's made of. The first two interviews didn't exactly reveal much...as intended.

But Biden get's high marks for his speech today. It really frames the Friday debate in interesting terms that I think the independent voter will readily absorb as rational though.

-spence

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.