Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting custom slacks made for a few years.

They are fairly elegant but I think that they could be more slimming.

From what I've seen, your typical custom slacks aren't very styled - they tend to be fairly full cut compared to pants you might buy OTR at Barney's NY or from Hugo Boss.

I'm pretty sure that the fuller cut is more basic and easier for a tailor to do. However, I would think that a really good tailor would know how to acheive a more modern, fitted look.

What are the key aspects to acheiving a more modern, fitted look? Is there certain terminology associated with certain design elements that help achieve a modern, fitted look with slacks.

I'm looking for a more modern, fitted look that still hangs well of course.

Also, are certain types of materials best for acheiving this look and other types of materials that are not good for acheiving this look (fabric type, weight, etc)? I would think that fabrics that have more stretch would help in this regard. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
If they're an older tailor, I would just ask them to make you a pair in a cut typical of the '60s. Slimmer and straight through the leg with a slight taper to 16".

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Most custom trousers can be made slim. Off the peg trousers can even be tapered. One thing to consider when getting custom made trousers is to get them with side adjusters and not belt loops. Side adjusters look clean and sleek. Also consider the waist height. Modern trousers have a low rise, which isn't very flattering on most people. Slim trousers worn at the waist will look more flattering and more timeless.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Very good point. At the waist is indeed more... dare I say... slimming. I somewhat disagree regarding side adjusters however -- I prefer odd trousers to be belted.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a shapely rear it seems like some material could be taken in under the rear (?)

Otherwise the excess material hangs off of the outermost part and makes your rear look like it takes up much more space than it actually does.

I never had this problem with pants I wore from Hugo Boss or Barney's NY. I'm just trying to figure out how to objectify the fit so I can explain to my next tailor what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
The best way to acheive a slim fit look probably starts with losing 20 pounds.....
Funny, I was thinking that most men's pants would look to be very slim cut if they gained 20 pounds. :icon_smile_big:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.