Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go out and grab a couple suit/jacket combos. I'm 20 so they aren't going to be bespokes but I still want to look nice and won't buy something that is not good. I'm confident that I can find a suit for a good price that I'd look good in. As for shirts, there's just too many to choose from and I don't really know where to start:

More specifically, I need a slim-fit shirt. I'm 5 foot 9, 150 lbs in athletic shape (hey, I'm 20!) and normal shirts look awful on me; there's too much fabric, the underarms are gigantic, and stuff like that. So what I'm looking for is a nice slim-fit dress shirt appropriate to wear with suits/jackets that is less than $110. I'd love to buy some $300 shirts, but I'm just not in the position to do that right now. So if any of you have any advice, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Andrew

· Registered
100 Posts
Your age and build are nearly the same as my own. Needless to say, I share your problem.

Brooks Brothers sells good shirts, but their "slim" fit isn't really all that slim at all, relatively speaking.

Jos. A. Bank has a good selection, and they're well under $110.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Some here would advocate MTM at that price point. If I lived in your area, I would certainly consider it.

Otherwise, I would go to a place like Neiman-Marcus Last Call. You will probably find a lot of shirts in that price range. I've seen Borrelli, Prada, Kiton, Charvet, Turnbull & Asser, Brioni, etc. One will likely fit you better than others.

· Registered
106 Posts
I'm about the same size as you, just twice your age - eek. Anyway, I like Paul Fredrick, a sponsor of this site, in particular their 100's shirts. Lands End also has some nice trim fit shirts, though I think I read here that they had changed the dimensions of their trim fit shirts recently, so I'm not sure how they fit. These 2 options aren't super slim, as is the trend right now - I would consider them to be conservative/business slim.

Also, you'll find some shirts fit slimmer than others, even though they may not be marked specifically as 'trim fit'. Some of that is hit and miss, different lines in the same brand can fit differently.

· Registered
61 Posts
I stongly second the Hemrajani suggestion. I have several shirts and suits from them....once you get your measurements dialed in you are golden....and it makes the RL and Crooks Brothes selections look pedestrian.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
For $20-$50 I'm a big fan of Paul Fredrick. Lots of colors and patterns for slim fit. go with the 100s+, the 80's just aren't that great, but I have had good success with the 100's, 120's, and 140's.

· Registered
205 Posts
I've always had this exact problem. I'm about 5'9" and 165, so by not huge, but not exactly small, but even the small size shirts billow on me.

I found a department store brand called Derby, it's the house brand of a major mid-level store called MonoPrix (basically, the Target of Paris). I don't know if you can find these online, but they are perfect for me.

The come in all different textures and collar types and have mitered cuffs. The smallest size (37/38) is actually too small. The (39/40) fits me like a glove. When they're half off, I can get them for about 15 Euro each (about 20 dollars).

Don't know if that will help you or not, but that was my inexpensive solution to the problem. Good luck.

· Registered
493 Posts
Buy any OTR shirt you want and take it to a tailor and have the arms slimmed and the sides taken in. For about $15 in tailoring charges, you will have a nice slim fitting shirt. I have done this to several of my shirts and have been very satisfied with the results.

· Registered
526 Posts
Buy any OTR shirt you want and take it to a tailor and have the arms slimmed and the sides taken in. For about $15 in tailoring charges, you will have a nice slim fitting shirt. I have done this to several of my shirts and have been very satisfied with the results.
Actually, that does open up a whole new avenue if you can find a good tailor. LE has some great shirts in their standard fit, which is huge. I'd love to tailor a few down.

· Registered
493 Posts
Actually, that does open up a whole new avenue if you can find a good tailor. LE has some great shirts in their standard fit, which is huge. I'd love to tailor a few down.
Precisely! Experiment with a cheap department store shirt. Once you are happy with the fit and the tailor, use the shirt as a template for future alterations.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
^

I was going to suggest something similar. MTM is fantastic but it requires a deal of patience and a "guinea pig" or two to dial in your pattern with each program you use. I think in your situation the best thing to do would be to find a really good alterations tailor; they will charge about $20 to taper the arms, armholes, and sides of the shirt. The resulting fit may not be perfect, but it will be good for the minimal time and money invested.

IMO Brooks probably makes the best RTW shirt under $100 (LE's are nice enough too and rather cheap, particularly the Hyde Park). Many here are particularly fond of their oxford cloth shirts (the must iron variety) which maybe a great choice for you. If you are 20 there's no need for fancy shirtings and spread collars since you likely won't wear a tie often if ever. The oxford cloth is very sturdy and will last until you are well past college, at which point you can use the shirts for casual activities.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Don't forget though, that having a shirt taken in is different than getting a slim fit shirt.

The shirt can be taken in, but the slim-fit shirt is cut on a different pattern, so it has the proper shape to it (comes in at the waist then comes back out a bit).

· Registered
4 Posts
Tailoring will replicate the tapering of a slim-fit shirt. Actually, it will be better since it matches your waist and hip measurements. Just get the proper neck size and tailor the sides and sleeves to fit. Shirts with pockets limit how much you can taper before the pocket moves too far to the side though. Starting with an off the rack shirts can typically get you better fabric than a basic online MTM shirt.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Don't forget though, that having a shirt taken in is different than getting a slim fit shirt.

The shirt can be taken in, but the slim-fit shirt is cut on a different pattern, so it has the proper shape to it (comes in at the waist then comes back out a bit).
Theres no reason they can't bring it back out after the waist, BC. Are you getting shirts tapered by your drycleaner or something?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.