Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a growing pile of nearly worn-out LL Bean Shetland crewneck sweaters at this point. I need to replace them with something else comparable, and hopefully a similar pricepoint?

I'm a pretty basic and frugal trad dresser, in that I try not to spend too much on sweaters or other things that are going to perish between work and my many hand-on type hobbies. The $50 or so for the Bean ones was just a perfect price point that I never felt bad ruining one after a year or two of solid use.

I was hoping LL Bean would come out with a set this year! I seem to recall they had a whole line of them a few years ago when I bought my last set!

Looking at the market of Shetland sweaters overall, it seems in retrospect that these LL Bean Shetlands have been just brilliant for the money, as i'm having trouble finding something even remotely at that price point. Looking at the prices the nicer trad type establishments near me, (J Press/andover shop in Harvard Sqaure) Shetlands they have are at least a whole hundred dollars more than the ones i'd been getting from LL Bean.

What are my options ?

I saw pendleton supposedly has a set? but i've noticed they don't look quite like the bean ones, maybe in some small way I can't quantify? They look different enough to me that I might not be on board. I also never ever heard of them mentioned on here, even in passing which i found strange.

I would have considered brooks brothers too, but they don't have any i could find on their site? :-/

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
About 14 months ago I bought a Bean shetland in their outlet store and found that it was much heavier than their Shetland's of the past. It's nice and warm, but bulky. Of course, the issue is moot, since they didn't produce crewnecks this year. Has anyone tried Hunter and Coggin's Shetlands? Their colors are very attractive, some tweedy mixtures. And they sell for $145. It is possible that they are also Harleys, but that can be clarified with a phone call, .

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
About 14 months ago I bought a Bean shetland in their outlet store and found that it was much heavier than their Shetland's of the past. It's nice and warm, but bulky. Of course, the issue is moot, since they didn't produce crewnecks this year. Has anyone tried Hunter and Coggin's Shetlands? Their colors are very attractive, some tweedy mixtures. And they sell for $145. It is possible that they are also Harleys, but that can be clarified with a phone call, .
I have a shetland purchased at Hunter and Coggins. I bought it on sale a number of years ago. Just got Jim Hunters after Christmas sale flyer in the mail this week so I'm sure he can help. I agree with calling him. They give great service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to pull the trigger on the Hartley ones, but ultimately my big (super temporary) solution to this problem was to go and buy five excellent sort of condition LL Bean ones from the same seller on ebay for $30 or so shipped. I certainly could have done worse. I think they may last until I have some more time to do some more looking around, or perhaps get the Harley ones off season.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I was going to pull the trigger on the Hartley ones, but ultimately my big (super temporary) solution to this problem was to go and buy five excellent sort of condition LL Bean ones from the same seller on ebay for $30 or so shipped. I certainly could have done worse. I think they may last until I have some more time to do some more looking around, or perhaps get the Harley ones off season.
Bahles is not known for discounting the Harley sweaters any further than they are at the moment (no spring/summer closeouts or anything like that). They sell well and Bahles knows it.

Having said that, the LLB shetlands you picked up are a good value. I like mine.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Brooks doesn't have a Shetland this year either, or, as best as I can tell, even a lambswool crewneck. The closest they have is Scottish wool cable knit, but I felt it in the store (intending to buy it, actually) and it was pitifully thin. I passed.

Does anyone have a take on those Pendleton ones? That's a reputable company, and the price at the moment on those sweaters is spectacular if you don't mind the limited remaining colors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.