Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a newbie here, presently in need of some polo shirts.

Several months back I bought a few of the BB "vintage" series shirts and was fairly pleased with the cut and quality (and the fact that the fleece logo was dyed the same color as the shirt and thus nearly invisible), especially in comparison to BB's horrid flimsy offerings of 5-7 years ago. Since then I've lost some weight -- a happy thing -- and those shirts have gone from "a bit loose but comfortable" to "unwearably baggy". I need to move down a size.

When I went to buy replacements this past weekend, I discovered that apparently Brooks has discontinued that particular variant. The local 'outlet' store had only a few, and bb.com no longer lists them. I need an alternative.

Long story short, where do you gentlemen go for well-made classic mesh-type polo shirts these days? I would prefer to avoid anything with a contrasting-color logo if at all possible, and I am old-school enough to associate fabric weight with quality and thus prefer shirts on the heavier side. I am somewhat slim-framed and have decided I prefer a tailored (though obviously not skintight) look to a baggy one. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My favorite is the Perlis crawfish polo. The funny part is if I go anywhere outside the south, everyone asks where I got my "lobster polo." Seeing that you are in New England, it may be worth looking into. Great price, great colors, and great quality. They do run about one size big.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
www.jimmyandsook.com

Great shirts, wash them in warm water and dry the first time to shrink them a little.
I love Jimmy and Sook (a sister store of Khakis of Irvington), but at fifty bucks, I'm not sure their polos are the best value around. My vote would be for Lands' End.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new here so I don't know if my opinion will count for much, but the lands end polos are great. I've got a lot of RLP and the feel/style is very very close. I was turned onto them by others who speak highly of them here. Also at roughly 20 dollars it's a great buy.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Another vote for LLB and LE as, for me, they come in the Large-Tall size which fits me very well. I like the fabric of many other polos, such as BB, but the larges are always too small and the extra-larges too big. So I go where the fit is good and the price is right.

Cordially,
A.Q.

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
+1 The BB Golden Fleece Polos are indeed quite wonderful! They seem more of a bargain every time you pull one on. :)
To be honest I only ever really wear three polos (white, blue and pink), all solids, though I have a few of the BB polos (nice stripes) and would recommend these in terms of quality.
I also have several funky colored 90's vintage striped pony polos packed away somewhere, all too small now I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
but do they sell 'em with the gator? Without it everyone will think your wife is picking out your clothes while buying...well what ever it is that Target sells.
My wife doesn't shop at Target, thank you very much. She shops at thrift stores. ;)

Thank God, too. Have you seen what that Lilly Pulitzer crap sells for at retail...?

Edit: My favorite Lacoste shirts are vintage ones, from the 1980's. They're getting hard to find nowadays, and they certainly don't make 'em like they used to.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Another vote for the Bean ones and the BB Golden Fleece ones. The BB ones are better, but more expensive. The best price I've been able to get them for is $33 each during some sales when they run 3 for $119 and then you can use a BB Corporate card to get another 15% off. The Bean ones are fine for $20.

Danny

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
Thank God, too. Have you seen what that Lilly Pulitzer crap sells for at retail...?

What, was everyone spying on me last week in Charleston? First Harris and his Favorite Tie thread, posted the very day I pick up my Yeomanry Regimental tie from Ben Silver and now you bustin' my chops for picking up some Lilly trou at Palm Ave. Ya'll musta been nappin when I snuck into Dumas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here comes the blasphemy: if you have a Polo (gasp) outlet near you, I would recommend their shirts, especially for slimmer guys. The BB ones seem to be generally wide and short, a problem only exacerbated by repeated washing. However, I would by no means pay retail for a RL polo. That's just obscene.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Here comes the blasphemy: if you have a Polo (gasp) outlet near you, I would recommend their shirts, especially for slimmer guys. The BB ones seem to be generally wide and short, a problem only exacerbated by repeated washing. However, I would by no means pay retail for a RL polo. That's just obscene.
Polo sells two styles, "classic" (normal) and "custom" (slim). I agree, BB's polos are tent-like.

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
Polo sells two styles, "classic" (normal) and "custom" (slim). I agree, BB's polos are tent-like.
I'll have to check to be sure, but if my BB polos are sized L (and indeed tent-like) I need to start watching my carbs. Last time I wore one (mending fences last month) my wife had to shuck me like cob, felt like straight jacket.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.