Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions aside from Allen Edmonds? I have seven pairs or so from them but I'd like to try some other brands but am having a hard time finding any that sell bigger than a 12 or a 13. And I'm not ready for MTM or bespoke shoes.

In AE shoes I prefer the 4 (discontinued) or 8 last with some kind of design on the toe whether it's a cap toe, split toe, or wing. I tried a 0 last but the extended toe makes my big feet look even bigger especially if it's a plain toe.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
I just purchased a pair of 14D from shoes.com - black AE Westgates.

Zappos had a lot of 14s last year, but they are expensive.
I'm a 13D if the last is right, but a thinner last gives me a fine 14D because my right foot has a big toe 1/4" longer than my left.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on Zappos. I ordered a pair of Doc Martens from them years ago but forgot about that site.

I just checked the Alden site and I saw a few shoes listed in 14D but they were mostly casual shoes and loafers, neither of which I care for. They had a couple of bals in a wing tip or cap toe but that was about it.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Glad I could help.

At a 14 you are JUST over the edge of widely available shoes. It must be annoying to see lots of great styles in 13, but none bigger. AE is very accommodating, going up to 15 usually, but if you don't prefer their styles it's a tough world unless you go custom-bespoke, and that is expensive.

I purchased the last pair of black Westgates I could find in my size. AE styles this year aren't my cup of leather. The recent wholecuts have weird perforated patterns. Hope to see them styling backwards a few years, soon.

· Registered
921 Posts
Zappos has an excellent return policy (up to one year), but sometimes selection can be spotty. There is a brick and mortar store in Philadelphia named Sherman Brothers, that carries AE (and Alden) and also offers on-line sales on their website.

Once in a while they have 10% off sales on select models.

And last but not least, for all those Jos. A. Bank "bashers", there is one great feature of their "corporate card" program. If you obtain one of their corporate cards (almost ANYONE that has a job can obtain one), it allows you to a 20% discount on any item, INCLUDING AE shoes.

Even if they do not have that style in the store, speak with the manager (the sales staff is often clueless) and you can order any size, any style from the AE catalog for the same 20% discount.

If anyone states this isn't true, I have done this several times, and it's the only reason I have a JAB corporate card!!!

It's something very few people take advantage of and many of the salesman are clueless about, so speak with a manager. The shoes come directly from AE.

· Registered
751 Posts
Already in Chicago, you can start with Nordstrom's Rack. They are always stocked with 14s. They sometimes have special sales for large sizes.

· Registered
834 Posts
Santoni

Have you tried Santoni? I have found that they run quite large--in every other RTW line I wear a 13, but I wear a 12 in Santoni. You might have luck with their size 13.

· Registered
43 Posts
You can try crockett & jones in a UK13-which translates to a US14. JM Weston also makes 14D.

I have two pair of well cared for, hardly worn loafers I would be willing to sell, each a 14.

The first is an AE glasgow split toe loafer in chestnut
the second is a c&j eaton in chestnut as well.

pm me if you are interested

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Never thought about Nordstrom Rack since I tend to avoid shoe shopping at department stores since it's usually a fruitless exercise.

And I just checked out the C&J website and found five or six pairs that I liked in a UK13. I totally forgot about the UK sizing difference even though I had to deal with it in buying Doc Martens during my band days. Is Edward Green based on the same UK sizing as well? I hear those are trickier to fit, though.

I did a search for C&J shoes and found that lots of people recommend www.plal.com and so I'll give them a shot. Gotta love saving money on cool shoes. Just wish the Snowdon came in my size as that'd be great for Chicago in the winter.

And I'll check out the Santoni shoes, too. I'd have to see those on as they look really long with the extended toe on some of the shoes. My feet look big enough as it is :icon_smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.