Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
If not favourite, one that stands out.

William Tell.

Not just because it was utilised for The Lone Ranger.
There is also the little matter that an overture should have some relation to the music that follows, William Tell does not quite do this in the then conventional sense, none of the tunes in it's overture feature in the opera itself, very contrary but landmark.

This reminds me that I miss Rossini posting and hope he pops back in from SF sometime soon.

F.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Die Meistersinger, for a sentimental reason . . .

. . . the Met Opera was playing it (for the Sat. afternoon broadcast) as I was leaving New York in 1976, at the end of my student internship - my first long-term exposure to NYC. (I remember hearing it in my parents' car as we were driving up the Major Deegan towards New England.)

My first long-term stay in NYC planted the seeds of the addiction to Manhattan from which I have suffered ever since . . .

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
How can this be ranked? I know my favorites vary like lunar phases...

I was just listning to Delibes' "Lakme" when I was cooking dinner last night (wife in Japan = comedy of me faring for myself), mostly because I adore the coloratura, but I was thinking how kind of surprising the overture is, sort of grand but with these startling rollbacks. I like it alot, even if it's not "the best" per se; it's surprising.

D.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'll join the Figaro chorus, but don't underestimate the overtures from a LOT of Rossini operas you'll probably never see (get the Giulini recording of Rossini overtures) nor Cosi.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haha.. I like how this thread is kept alive. I'll add a vote to Carmen!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.