Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on brands to try for jeans. I'm young, currently in sixth form in the UK, therefore I want something that's going to suit my age. Something timeless would be good, as I tend to wear a lot of casual shirts so I feel the two would pair quite well.

I'm probably looking to throw out all of the jeans in my wardrobe, perhaps with the exception of one pair. I'm looking to go for something much better fitting than what I already have.

Perspective budget is £80 per pair, but I can be a bit flexible on that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeans are my favorite piece of clothing. I had to try several different brands of jeans before finding the perfect one. I only wear Diesels now. If you can throw in a little extra cash, treat yourself and buy a really nice pair of diesels.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sixth form eh? I must confess, when I first read that I thought "Sixth Grade", which would put you at about 12 years old (really quite young for an AAAC member!). A bit of googling tells me that you are probably closer to 20 - is that correct? I have no desire to guess what is in style for 12 year olds in the UK - probably whatever they can hide knives in? :pic12337:

Anyways - I went through a phase during university where I was really experimenting with denim - tried Diesels, True Religion, Se7en for All Mankind, etc. However, I am now back to Levi's. The only "timeless" pair of jeans I can think of would be 501s in a very dark wash, the kind that are cardboard stiff until you break them in yourself. Personally, I tend to wear 514s (Slim Straight) and 527s (Low Rise Boot). Although, I have been seriously considering a pair of APCs recently...

My only real recommendations are A)Make sure they fit; don't shoehorn yourself into a pair of jeans based on the name B)Stay away from too-trendy washes, rips, stains, etc. Thankfully I think this trend has once again passed, but when I was in school the fad was to wear jeans that had been strategically pre-ripped, covered in grass, paint, and oil stains.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello -
I understand your need to find some really great jeans. Like the above poster, I have come round full circle to Levi's 501's, but this is with the proviso that they actually do fit me perfectly. The hard part with trying on jeans in the store is that, with washing and drying and wear, they seem to really change the way they fit. Levis 501's have a very particular cut and fit. I don't know what's available in the UK, but I expect if there is any garment that is truly international, it's Levis jeans.

·
Registered
439 Posts
While I like True Religion on women who "wear them well," I find them rarely if ever really right for men.

I'm much older (50) and now like Lucky Brand, and I do have a pair of Se7ens but they are 'pushing it' for me.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Sixth form eh? I must confess, when I first read that I thought "Sixth Grade", which would put you at about 12 years old (really quite young for an AAAC member!). A bit of googling tells me that you are probably closer to 20 - is that correct? I have no desire to guess what is in style for 12 year olds in the UK - probably whatever they can hide knives in? :pic12337:

Anyways - I went through a phase during university where I was really experimenting with denim - tried Diesels, True Religion, Se7en for All Mankind, etc. However, I am now back to Levi's. The only "timeless" pair of jeans I can think of would be 501s in a very dark wash, the kind that are cardboard stiff until you break them in yourself. Personally, I tend to wear 514s (Slim Straight) and 527s (Low Rise Boot). Although, I have been seriously considering a pair of APCs recently...

My only real recommendations are A)Make sure they fit; don't shoehorn yourself into a pair of jeans based on the name B)Stay away from too-trendy washes, rips, stains, etc. Thankfully I think this trend has once again passed, but when I was in school the fad was to wear jeans that had been strategically pre-ripped, covered in grass, paint, and oil stains.
Sixth form = 11/12th grade

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I wore Levis 505's for many years and loved them. Then one day I picked up a pair of Lee Regular Fit jeans and now that is all I wear. Not because I think they are superior to the Levis, but because they fit me better.

This is why I think it isn't a good idea to choose a brand because it is supposed to be high quality. Unless you are talking about some really crappy brand of jeans, fit is the most important characteristic. A decent quality jean that fits well is more valuable than the most expensive pair of jeans out there if the expensive ones don't fit.

Remember, unlike dress pants that can be altered in several areas, except for length you are pretty much stuck with what you bring home from the store when it comes to jeans. They either fit or they don't and price really has nothing to do with that.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Levi's 501

I'm young, currently in sixth form in the UK, therefore I want something that's going to suit my age. Something timeless would be good, as I tend to wear a lot of casual shirts so I feel the two would pair quite well.

Perspective budget is £80 per pair, but I can be a bit flexible on that.
I would say go for Levi's - understated but still cool. When I was in sixth form (1999-2001), Armani jeans were popular in our school and Levi's did not look out of place.

Classics like 501's would be under your £80 per pair budget, they start at £40 and some are in the £50-55 bracket. You can even wear them on weekend with a casual shirt or top/rugby top/etc and loafers/smart trainers on the weekend. Smart up with a dress shirt and sweater, laced shoes and a coat. With £160, you could get 3/4 pairs depending on the wash.

To American members, Sixth Form is basically grade 12 and 13, so 17 to 18 years old. Some schools have a small college within the grounds of the school, which is called Sixth Form; we had about 120 students in our Sixth Form (60 per grade).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sixth form eh? I must confess, when I first read that I thought "Sixth Grade", which would put you at about 12 years old (really quite young for an AAAC member!). A bit of googling tells me that you are probably closer to 20 - is that correct?
Sorry, I forget that people don't use the term elsewhere but the UK, sixth form would be the last two years of education before going to university, so I'm coming towards 17 this year.

Thankfully I think this trend has once again passed, but when I was in school the fad was to wear jeans that had been strategically pre-ripped, covered in grass, paint, and oil stains.
The trend did resurface, unfortunatly there me be evidence of that in my wardrobe! But thankfully the trend has gone.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Levis and Diesel seem to be the two that I'm most likely to invest in a few pairs of. What is the best way in determing proper fit of Levis if they are likely to change shape with wear?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
APC New Standards///hands down, the perfect jean. They are vanity sized, so order 1-2 sizes down from your normal jean size.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wear Levi's 501s and 505s most of the time, but I've been forced to find an alternative since I'm in Korea, and the markup is ridiculous. The next best thing, I found, was actually Uniqlo. They make some more modern washes, but they also, as a Japanese company, make extremely dark indigo washes that are classic and fit well. Also, as far as I know, their company promotes a policy of free tailoring. So, if they are too long, you should be able to get them hemmed in store. Not sure if that's everywhere or just New York and Korea. Worth a look though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 for Lucky Brand. They are nothing like the old jeans I used to wear as a teenager. Try the Vintage Straight Leg - they are super soft and are made in a modern low rise. I also have a pair of dark wash skinny bootcuts for evenings out

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rather late to the thread, but having grown up in the UK I'd say that Levi's/Diesel jeans would be a good choice for a "brand" with some credibility.

Alternatively buy a pair of non branded but still quality pair, M&S Autograph range for example, and put the rest of the money towards a better quality pair of shoes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.