Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I posted that there is a set of videos available on YouTube that offer excellent instruction on a wide variety of tie knots, and other forum members were quite impressed as well. You can find these videos on YouTube by running a search for the username "avvi66" (without the quotes).

I'll soon be attending my first black-tie affair and so needed to learn the bow tie. While avvi66's video is as professionally and thouroughly shot as his others, for some reason it just wasn't working for me. I did a little more digging on YouTube and found a video that makes the bow tie no more difficult than a four-in-hand. There's a little trick that makes the hardest part of the operation (inserting the the second folded over section behind the first) a piece of cake.

I'm sure many of our more advanced members will already be familiar with the technique or perhaps use completely different methods, but this was a minor epiphany for me and I wanted to share it with others who may have been frustrated with their bow tie endeavors in the past.

If for some reason the link doesn't work, go to YouTube and search BOWTIE COLACVB.

· Registered
6 Posts
I, too, have found this video extremely helpful. It really makes it a no brainer, and easy to remember.

What I still struggle with in tying my bowties, however, is getting the relative length of each side just right. I'd like the front and back to be even with each other. This can vary from tie to tie, depending on width and thickness of the tie. Any tips?

Dan

· Registered
2,163 Posts
I, too, have found this video extremely helpful. It really makes it a no brainer, and easy to remember.

What I still struggle with in tying my bowties, however, is getting the relative length of each side just right. I'd like the front and back to be even with each other. This can vary from tie to tie, depending on width and thickness of the tie. Any tips?

Dan
The unevenness of a bowtie, like any neckwear, is what gives the piece its human touch. I think the only time a "perfect" bowtie is possibly in order is when one is formally dressed, or, in the context of today, dressed in a tuxedo.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
I believe there is usually about an inch of material to adjust between the front and back bows, but it depends on how tight the "knot" is made? If the bowtie in the front has signifcantlly more/less length than the back, for example, no amount of adjusting will even out the two bows due to the limitation an adjustment allows.

· Registered
6 Posts
The unevenness of a bowtie, like any neckwear, is what gives the piece its human touch. I think the only time a "perfect" bowtie is possibly in order is when one is formally dressed, or, in the context of today, dressed in a tuxedo.
Yeah, I guess I should just relax about it then. But there are times when the difference in length between the front and the back is so great that I can't refrain from starting over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.