Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I'm sure most will suggest a button down collar. While I wear a button down about 3/4 of the time for my business casual, I don't hesitate to wear a point collar also. I generally wear a point collar for social occasions at night when I'm wearing an open collared shirt with either a suit or jeans/blazer. I especially like a white point collar dress shirt at night with jeans and a navy or black blazer.

Cruiser

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also prefer a white point collar with jeans and navy blazer. Am I correct in assuming that a spread collar should be reserved for a tie (most likely with a wider knot?) Personally, I have not been able to jump on the band wagon for button down collar shirts. I'm sure its just me, but I think a point collar just looks much sharper

I'm sure most will suggest a button down collar. While I wear a button down about 3/4 of the time for my business casual, I don't hesitate to wear a point collar also. I generally wear a point collar for social occasions at night when I'm wearing an open collared shirt with either a suit or jeans/blazer. I especially like a white point collar dress shirt at night with jeans and a navy or black blazer.

Cruiser

·
Registered
282 Posts
Button-down would be the best option, IMO.

But a moderate spread collar may look better than a forward point collar if you want to avoid button-down.

Which collar is best depends on your face and your build.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
You might want to go with collars that normally wouldn't suit you, since you wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to wear them
I think there's some truth in this, though for me it's more along the lines of certain unbuttoned collars suiting me better than my preferred buttoned collar style.

I like a significantly higher collar when wearing a shirt unbuttoned, and if I know I'm going to wear a particular shirt unbuttoned 95% of the time, it can have a slightly snugger collar, which makes them look a bit neater.

I have two shirts, one a Loro Piana buttondown and one a cheap Debenhams spread collar, that I love wearing unbuttoned at the collar much more than my other shirts. The difference is that both these shirts have a significant higher collar, making them stand up a bit more and not just flattened/hiding under lapels.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
While I am probably in the minority ....

I never wear a dress shirt sans tie. When I am without a tie, I wear a sport shirt (stripes, polka dots, checks etc). I have some sport shirts which are button down, but I prefer a point collar. Dress shirts are dress shirts and sports shirts are sport shirts and never the twain shall meet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.