Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
That club X have the most recognised kit in the world is not the same as that club X have the most recognised kit in the world among fanatics of sport. Any arbitrarily defined subset of the world's population may have it's own 'most recognized' something. It does not follow that this something is the most recognized in the world.

Furthermore, a club's home colors are not the same as it's name. 'New York Yankees' may be a familiar name to many people (even worldwide), but they may not identify the hallmarks of their identity. Even a Yankees baseball cap most likely only signals the wearer as being from the USA.

The New York Yankees' pinstripes may be the most recognized kit in the world. We have no way of objectively knowing that. The question of recognition, however, is irrelevant to a discussion of the aesthetic value of the kits worn by various teams.

Early in the thread, I suggested FC Barcelona's blaugrana as the best (and my favorite). I like the colors and the alternating stripes are classic. I've yet to read any real discussion of the merits of any team's colors or kit design.

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
That club X have the most recognised kit in the world is not the same as that club X have the most recognised kit in the world among fanatics of sport. Any arbitrarily defined subset of the world's population may have it's own 'most recognized' something. It does not follow that this something is the most recognized in the world.

Furthermore, a club's home colors are not the same as it's name. 'New York Yankees' may be a familiar name to many people (even worldwide), but they may not identify the hallmarks of their identity. Even a Yankees baseball cap most likely only signals the wearer as being from the USA.

The New York Yankees' pinstripes may be the most recognized kit in the world. We have no way of objectively knowing that. The question of recognition, however, is irrelevant to a discussion of the aesthetic value of the kits worn by various teams.

Early in the thread, I suggested FC Barcelona's blaugrana as the best (and my favorite). I like the colors and the alternating stripes are classic. I've yet to read any real discussion of the merits of any team's colors or kit design.
Ok, here's the reasons for my picks:

Best:
St. Louis Cardinals-I'm a Cardinals fan. I've always loved the Birds on the Bat. To me, their home uniforms are the best in baseball. I do wish more of them would show off their socks.

Green Bay Packers-Again, I'm a fan. Maybe they aren't the best looking uniform, but I like them. Green for Green Bay and yellow for cheese I guess.

Indiana basketball-classic red and white uniforms. Indiana hasn't changed their uniforms like many other teams do on a regular basis. I don't like their red/white striped warm up pants though.

I can't decide with pro hockey. Maple Leafs, Oilers, Habs. The Canadian teams do a good job with their uniforms. -classic uniforms that don't change every other year. The Red Wings are also classic, but as a Blues fan, I couldn't bear to list the Wings.

Notre Dame football or Navy Midshipmen-I think navy and gold are great uniform colors.

Boston Celtics-classic green and white. I don't like their black uniforms.

UNH or BU hockey-simple classic uniforms. navy/white for UNH and red/white for BU.

As for soccer/football, there are many that I like, England, France, Ireland, Germany, Celtic and Manchester United to name a few.

And rugby, I don't think I have seen a bad looking rugby kit.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Green Bay Packers-Again, I'm a fan. Maybe they aren't the best looking uniform, but I like them. Green for Green Bay and yellow for cheese I guess.
A sidelight on the Packers uniform:

When Vince Lombardi took over the Redskins, he changed their uniforms to resemble the Packers' design. The throwback unis that the Skins wore in their near-win over the Giants several weeks ago were in this model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Lombardi#Washington_Redskins

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Okay...been thinking about this one.

BEST

Chicago Bears "away" kit (The one with white shirts and navy pants). Esp. When worn by Walter Payton.

Arsenal FC 1971 "Home" kit (long sleeves)

WORST

Cleveland Browns

Tottenham Hotspur FC

W_B

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 for long sleeves.

And for Arsenal's first Double in '71. If they keep it up this season...(knocks on wood)

Why am I not surprised to see Spurs under Worst? I actually feel a little sorry for poor Tottenham:

https://galleries.lycos.nl/d/17533-1/Martin+Jol.jpg

Although, as much as I love Prof. Arsene Wenger OBE (and his degree in economics), he needs to keep his coat on:

https://www.arsenalpics.com/image/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger_462433.jpg

But I might nominate Arsenal's 1991 away kit as one of the worst:

https://www.premiershirts.net/wearthat/wearthatshirts/arsenal.jpg

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
?

This is most diverting but i wish someone would tell me what sports these very colorful men are playing. I havent seen so much as a cricket bat between them. Although i did see some odd shaped balls....

101 - 111 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.